Le Creuset or Staub which is Best?

What’s the difference between the two?
Both are ECI and made in France.
However, I’ve noticed that Staub is more reasonably priced.
I remember Julia Child even commenting on how much Le Creuset had increased in price on one of her cooking shows.
Why such a huge price gap?
Is Staub an inferior product or a lower end one?
Any help debunking this mind boggling mystery would be appreciated.

I only own Le Creuset, so I can’t personally speak to the differences. Here is a comparison by the kitchen.com.

Personally, the light colored interior is important to me. I like to be able to see the food I’m cooking.

I’ve gotten all of my Le Creuset at outlet stores at a greatly reduced price. I don’t care what color the cookware is or mind tiny cosmetic flaws.

https://www.thekitchn.com/pros-and-cons-le-creuset-versus-staub-dutch-oven-253845?amp=1

4 Likes

Thank you for your response and posting the links…I’m off to go read.

Me too! If the Staub stuff (don’t own any) is black it is not for me. But my Le Creuset pans were bought decades ago (at a fairly reasonably price at the time). Now-a-days they seem astronomical.

I have many pans (both clad stainless and non-stick) from Tramontina, and have been very satisfied with their performance, quality, and customer service… so maybe have a look at their cast iron.

Hi Olunia,

There’s more than two ECI suppliers–way more–but Staub and Le Creuset have very powerful marketing approaches–and multiple avenues to us customers. Those are the ones we hear about in the US. Many others appear in grocery stores and big box stores.

Even though a little known 26 cm. pot can cost as little as $20 and a Le
Creuset can cost over $200, there may be no discernable difference at all in the performance one experiences in the kitchen. Over time, a properly used and maintained Le Creuset pot may retain it’s new look indefinitely (at least for me since 2013) while others age badly–maybe because of subtle differences in design and quality control. With Staub, it’s far more complex, because they produce multiple lines of product using more alternative technologies. For sure, Staub is far more advanced.

Staub made a high quality Basix line that is hard to distinguish from Le Creuset (I have four of them), and their best premium products have unique high quality external and internal coatings. Some of this technology may be shared with Le Creuset (the black internal coatings) on a few products.

At places like Sur La Table and Williams Sonoma, Le Creuset makes exclusive pots and pans with special designs in special colors as seasonal specials

but they also sell their regular line at special Le Creuset discount stores they own–so the price may seem to drop from $200 to $100 (or less) if you don’t demand that “special” design. Le Creuset is even more successful with their high end approach in Japan, where they market their pots and pans in beige and pink.

What distinguishes them the most is that they are the only ones with elaborate product lines, ECI and ceramic, that can transition the user from the kitchen to the dining area.

Since Zwilling took over Staub, they have had online seconds sales with slashed prices in the US (but not Europe)–even on top colors and designs that are at the level or below the level of Le Creuset discount stores.

They battle things out on EBAY–where you can get the real bargains.

What best distinguishes them from all the others is that they have very complete product lines in multiple colors and provide excellent customer support.

I once got a large Le Creuset top design 32 cm. pot at an auction for $85–and it was intended to be sold for about $300 at a famous retailer in NY until the box was damaged.

Ray

2 Likes

I believe they are of comparable quality. Although it will eventually show the signs of use, I prefer the white interior of Le Creuset. It is easier to observe what is going on with white. The Staub has those little spikes on the underside of the lid, supposedly to promote condensate dripping and basting the food. I find that gimmicky. I would prefer either a clad piece or tinned copper (old). Neither LC nor Staub is particularly even heating on the stove top.

Tim

Hi have a lot of Staub dutch ovens, braiser, skillet and so on.

I like the look and quality of Staub and I chose it because I didn’t want a white enameled interior, which looks difficult to clean and also, I wonder if it is bad at browning meat etc. since it’s some coating of glass.

1 Like

I like Staub a little more, but there isn’t really “best”. There are many small differences, but none is big. For example, Staub cookware usually have dark or black interior enameled coating, whereas Le Creuset usually have their in white. A white background makes it much easier to see what your foods look like and useful in developing a fond or making a roux. However, white coating easily look stained.
The other difference is that Staub lid is more flat.

Staub is not inferior. There are at least two reasons why Le Creuset is more expensive. First, Le Creuset offers far wider color selection. This adds to their overall cost. Second, Le Creuset spends much more in marketing.

3 Likes

For me - I think I only need the white to see my food cooking when I’m browning butter or making caramel. Otherwise, I don’t see the relevance?

I wonder if others need to see their food in a different way? E.g., squid ink pasta?

1 Like

I love Staub. I like the way their lids fit. I enjoy their interior finish which browns and cleans well, not mentioning their deep exterior glazes. Grenadine is my choice. I have phased out my le Creuset.

4 Likes

Thank you everyone for all these wonderful informative posts.
I will have more questions for everyone later on.

@Chemicalkinetics, I chose the word “Best” again because it is a friendly way to have a discussion/debate.
I originally used it in the Scotch thread to keep the title short.
You taught me that it could create and “stir up some problems”.
If the word best will encourage more people to share their opinions, I’m all for that, the more the merrier.
Thank you for pointing that out, I plan to use it in all my title posts from now on.

1 Like

Nifty strategy! BTW there is a lovely 24 cm copper Dutch oven on Etsy with 2mm copper. It is $202. That seems to me like a better deal than Staub or LC (unless, of course, you use induction). If you will be using it only in the oven, there is no real cooking advantage for one or the other.

1 Like

The other thing that I don’t see mentioned is that some of the Le Creuset pots have a black non-metal knob. You can replace the knob with a metal knob if you plan to cook at high temperatures.

I have a Staub which I originally bought for a great price at the Williams Sonoma outlet. I’ve been happy with it, but I am sure I would also be happy with LeCreuset.

1 Like

Hi Olunia,

The above is just a brief excerpt from approximately 7 years of adventures with enameled cookware–mostly Staub/Le Creuset related. I’ve purchased, for myself, approximately 30 pieces, and another six or seven for friends. I’ve bought them from both the US and Europe, from retailers, face to face, and online–again from Europe and (mostly) from the USA.

In addition the ECI, I’ve purchased enameled Kobenstyle and Le Creuset steel, and followed the history of the designers who’ve collaborated along the way. I’ve read and commented on the relatively recent tour of Le Creuset book and other material.

I’ve moved away from this recently-especially since I haven’t been able to use the pots and pans much during Covid 19–and my interest these days is primarily fusion culture, so I don’t want to get into too much detail any more, but I would be willing to be helpful as needed.

Ray

2 Likes

Hi Olunia,

I believe that Staub is considered the superior product, but I agree wtih @macrogenoff that the light color of the Le Creuset lining makes it a better choice for me.

I have to preface my comments with a note that I bought almost all my ECI well over a decade ago, so I can’t comment on recent changes that may have occurred with buyouts and whatnot. When I was buying, Staub was not cheaper than LC. I purchased Staub, LC, and the much, much cheaper Lodge ECI. I have often cooked in other people’s kitchens, so I’ve also paid attention to the less expensive ECI that folks have gotten from Costco and other places.

To me, you can get good results cooking in any of these. The main difference has been how the finish holds up. My Staub has the most use, and the interior and exterior finish is as good as new. No chips, no scratches, no scuffs. I also personally like the black interior of the Staub for the way it browns and releases foods. The LC has been the next best for the finish holding up. No chips, but the exterior does scratch and scuff. The pots perform well, but for searing foods, I don’t like the LC interior as well as the Staub. The Lodge has a light interior similar to LC. The pots perform just as well, but the interior discolors more, and the exterior has been prone to chipping. As for the other brands that I’ve seen in the kitchens of friends and family, I find they are also prone to chipping, even more so than the Lodge, and that sometimes includes the interiors. Overall, I have found Staub to be the best quality and the best finish, but my experience is not with any of these cheaper versions that may have come out in recent years.

5 Likes

They are the same in quality. Le Creuset is an older company. As @melmm and some other has pointed out, interior is light colour, meaning you might see scratches with the years of usage. Also a point quite important with LC dutch oven is the black phenolic knob has a temperature limit, if you want to use your pot for bread baking, you should get a metal knob one.

• Signature black phenolic lid knobs are heat-safe to 500°F / 250°C . These knobs are black with “Le Creuset” on top, no other logo mark (as shown in this photo). - Classic black phenolic lid knobs are heat-safe to 390°F / 190°C. These knobs are black with a logo mark above our brand name.

Staub is a younger company from the 70s. Personally I own only Staub pots. I prefer black matte enamel interior and its form. I see professional chefs only use Staub in the restaurant kitchens. Only home cooks use LC here. Since a few years, I see Staub is following the marketing strategy of LC by introducing a wider range of colours.

The vintage LC pots are nice looking.

4 Likes

I think LC positions themselves higher in US than Staub. In France, they are similar in price.

1 Like

‘Best’ is a loaded and not a very meaningful term. Both are well-made and have good fit & finish. Thermally, they are almost indistinguishable. In no particular order, here’re what I vew to be the salient differences.

Interiors Yes, LC usually has white enamel linings, and Staub black. I “get” the theoretical advantage of white–being able to see fond better. But I’m with eugene on this–there aren’t many things that would make white a clearly better choice, at least if you have decent kitchen lighting. OTOH, black would be advantageous for hiding scratches, stains and scuffs. FWIW, at one point, LC claimed its black enamel was more durable and held seasoning better than its white.

Covers I like the Staub covers and knobs a little better. Again, pretty minor, IMO.

Colors I find the Staub colors richer and deeper, and they don’t change them on a whim, so you stand a better chance of finding same-colored pieces. But the LC palette appeals to many people as a clear preference.

Selection When I was into LC, I assessed that LC offered a wider selection of shapes and sizes. I suspect this is still the case. So, if you want brand and/or exterior colors to match, and you must have some more specialized piece, LC may be a better choice.

3 Likes

I disagree, it has been brought to my attention that this term is a little controversial and promotes discussion.

1 Like