Le Creuset or Staub which is Best?

Thank you everyone for all your responses as I am learning so very much from all of you.

There are some nuances and crossovers. Le Creuset does have black interiors on a few pots, and pans, including their crepe pan. The “light” interiors are not always white. They have some with a sandy beige, for example. They sell some models with a metal knob on top–and their are many replacement knobs are available for those who don’t like the phenolic one.

Staub has many models that have lids much like Le Creuset, and the lids don’t always have the “drip” bumps.

Both Staub and Le Creuset can be found at very low prices–especially the bigger pots–from time to time.

Staub makes a pot very similar to Le Creuset for the Basix label.

I have more Staub than Le Creuset, but have versions of both that I love a lot.

I think what @kaleokahu means here is that “best” for one person might not be “best” for another. It depends upon the use and the person. One thing that people have historically complained about with Staub is how heavy the pots are. They are, in my experience, heavier than LC. Not a problem for me, but for some it might be a consideration. Of course ALL ECI is heavy compared to say a stainless steel/aluminum sandwich construction.

All of these pots perform similarly, even the cheaper ones that are not Staub or LC. Or regular cast-iron for that matter. So it comes down to preferred finish, preferred colors, and if you are willing to tolerate some chipping on the exterior (with the cheap ones).

One more comment on the fond issue. A fond is brown, not black. If the fond is black, you are burning your food. So in my personal experience, the fond shows up just fine on a black interior. It’s just lighter than the interior, rather than darker. It may not be as easy to see if one has poor vision or difficulty differentiation subtle contrast, but for me personally it has never, ever been an issue. YMMV, of course. Folks cooked on regular (non-enameled) cast-iron for a long, long time before stainless or ECI pots with light interiors were available, and I don’t think they had a problem seeing the fond.

1 Like

Oh yeah, people argue endlessly about that particular choice.

Yes, I see your point Kaleo about “best” being a “loaded” term and not very meaningful.
Thanks for the explanation @MelMM you are right it is a relative term which means something different to everyone.

The original big Staub pots had ultra heavy lids by design–with a body that was not that heavy at all. The more modern products often have lids that are about the same as Le Creuset, so the weight difference is not so much an issue overall as it was.

Both Staub and Le Creuset work so well for me because I cook with induction units that control temperatures right around the boiling point of water with extreme precision.

1 Like

Yep. I remember that (back when you and I were at the old Chowhound).
For what it worth, I went to Le Creuset website and here is the newer and more expanded description:
" Our black satin enamel is found on the interior of our best-selling [Signature Skillets] and fan favorite [Grill Pans]. With a matte black finish and slightly coarser texture than our sand enamel…
It has also been specially designed for higher surface temperature cooking, which makes it ideal for grilling, searing and other dry cooking methods, and results in a nice brown caramelized crust on your food…
The surface of the pan will develop a beneficial patina that enhances cooking performance, and creates a surface that becomes more nonstick over time – just like traditional cast iron"

1 Like

I thought you used “best” just to provoke discussions… :laughing:

Interesting that they admitted this.

Maybe making caramel can be a challenge or browned butter. But those jobs, I would rather use my other stainless steel pots.

1 Like

Basically, it will come down to your personal preference: light or dark color interior of the pan, as other have mentioned; and your answer to the following question:
Do I prefer darker jewel and earth tones (Staub) or bright/cheerful (Le Creuset)?

1 Like

Not new, just in case you want to see this LC Factory visit:

2 Likes

I write this based on my personal experience with the two brands.

Le Creuset seems to be the best known brand of the two among the vast majority of people.

But as soon as you step into the smaller group of cookware enthusiasts, Staub becomes seemingly more popular and in many cases even more popular than Le Creuset.

I own 3 Le Creuset ECI pots with the white interior, 2 Le Creuset ECI pots with the black interior and 4 Staub ECI pots with the black interior.

The argument about better being able to see fond development in the white interior of the Le Creuset pots is not an argument I buy into.

First of all fond is brown, not black, so you can easily see it in the black interior.

Secondly I find the pots with the black interior of both the Le Creuset and Staub browns a bit better and more evenly than the pots with the white interior.

The white interior will also be a bit harder to maintain over time than the black interior - you visibly will see the white interior become more matte and have more visible hard to remove stains than the black interior.

One thing I like about my Le Creuset ECI pots is the larger more comfortable handles.
The Staub handles are fine, but a bit too small for my hands, but it’s not a big issue, but it’s one point where I think Le Creuset is better than Staub.

Other than the handle size, Staub to me is the marginally better quality product of the two.

The Staub outer enamel seems to be better made and very scratch resistant.
The Staub lids are better built.
The Staub pot is overall heavier and more sturdy.
Gimmick or not, the interior lid design of the Staub pots may contribute to a better more juicy cooking result.

Overall I slightly prefer Staub over Le Creuset - but both brands are top of the line ECI products.

In Europe they are evenly priced by the way.

4 Likes

He did a great job. I enjoyed making comments on his book.

Ray

Thank you NAF, that was a fun walk through time! My mother had one or two of what are now vintage pieces. I envy whom ever has them now. :blush:

1 Like

@naf What year is the LC from? 1970?
I’m planning to check out the link you sent tomorrow.
Have been reading and learning along the way this is such an interesting topic to discuss.
In fact, much more interesting than I had originally anticipated.

1 Like

This was incredibly useful. I have both and just by chance happened to be using them at the right temperatures. Phew!

Some people like plastic knobs. Other like the stainless steel metal knobs

LC 1925
Staub 1974

I believe one can touch the plastic knobs when the cooking is directly on stove, while the metal knobs get too hot and need some dish towel. I don’t know if one can touch the plastic knobs out with bare hands from oven. Can someone confirm?