Le Cresuset's Christmas Tartan Pattern: Why do they have it?

I just saw this very attractive pattern on Le Creuset which goes really well with the holiday season. Now, I am not getting it, but I do find the pattern interesting.

So why does Le Creuset make these seasonal pattern very often? It changes all the time. Every year and every season, Le Creuset launches a new pattern. Why doesn’t other brand do it? Is it something very unique to enameled cast iron?

Or is the customer base which is different?

So we can all plunge our flaming coiffs in a Tartan goose pot of eggnog?

I’m sorely tempted to curse a blue streak about how stupid and profligate this is.

Just wow.

Aloha,
Kaleo

Or are you just trolling me?

1 Like

Sorry for a lot of spelling error above.

I am not going to buy it. I think Le Creuset is probably the most successful company merging cookware and fashion. I wonder why other companies are not successful in expanding in this direction.

Le Creuset almost always expands base on color and pattern. Not many cookware companies have successful done this.

I don’t know they do seasonal pattern! In France, they don’t have this on their website. A cocotte is for life, cooking is serious, you don’t mess with pattern here! :innocent:

Because other companies don’t need to entice consumers with color/pattern tricks? LC is more an enamel company than it is a foundry.

I think it is such a seasonal pattern that you don’t see it in regular website. I cannot easily find it here in many website. I just saw it in person and look for it.

Some companies, not all put out limited edition items

Did a quick google search. Some visuels

LIMITED EDITION LE CREUSET ORIGINAL COCOTTE

Le Creuset Japan 25th anniversary Limited Edition Cocotte Ronde SAKURA PINK F/S

IHHA-LECREUSET-LIMITED-EDITION

Petite Fruit

Le Creuset By Enzo Mari Blueflame #29 Casserole, Limited Edition Fall 1976

My favorite is the 1976 Enzo Mari. Looks like Le Creuset has a tradition in doing limited edition pots.

CK and Kaleo…sorry, but you guys crack me up! You are both as interested in collecting kitchen tools and appliances as Trump is golf courses and nubile blondes. It should not come as a surprise to you that there are folks for whom amassing a rainbow assortment of cast iron is an obsession. Many, if not most, of us have (or would like to have) a surfeit of one category of possessions or another.

“The Orchid Thief”, by Susan Orleans, is to be recommended as an entertaining foray into the topic of obsessive collecting. Avoid the film version at all costs; other than the title, it has little to do with the book.

I have a blue flame to show them…

I don’t consider myself a collector. If I did, I’d probably collect the nubile blondes.

Multiple copies of the same overpriced, underperforming pot, in different (yet atrocious, yet completely situational) colors? I think that’s crazy wasteful. If I wanted colors, I’d spray a serious pan with 2000F paint.

I will check out The Orchid Thief. Thanks.

Aloha,
Kaleo

Well, it isn’t so much about people collecting cookware. Some people love to collect vintage cast iron cookware, others own more than several high quality kitchen knives, and others collect nice pillowcases… I don’t know.

However, I think here is a big difference – the companies themselves.

Wagner didn’t make cast iron cookware for people to collect, and many of Masamoto knives customers are professional chefs. These companies do not market their items as collectibles.

In this regards, Le Creuset is a little more unique. It seems to market their products as collectibles or seasonal or fashionable.

From a business point of view, it is quiet successful. So it seems strange that other companies do not try to push their luck in this regard.

1 Like

I find that so incredibly ugly. So very, very ugly.

I’ve made my living by selling useless items to folks
who need release from their humdrum m-f lives. Don’t tell me it hasn’t brought something to their lives. Maybe Melania likes it. Isn’t Donnie Scottish?

Really? I really think it is cute. Now, I won’t buy it, but if I were to buy it, this would be a top candidate.

1 Like

Just in time for this thread:

http://adequateman.deadspin.com/the-2016-hater-s-guide-to-the-williams-sonoma-catalog-1789529261

Guess what item #2 is.

Full disclosure, I love the two Le Creuset dutch ovens I have (and love the bright colors too) and if I ever see the five quart braiser at a decent price I will buy it. But I don’t much care for this tartan pattern (unless it flops and gets marked way down - then I’ll buy the braiser even in tartan!).

1 Like

Thanks. Some of Drew’s comments are not only funny, but spot on, like:

“Drew says: But why? Why would I want that? I’m trying to drink my hot chocolate here. I don’t want a gingerbread “folk” to come sliding around the rim to high-five my face…”

I don’t get it neither

I saw this pattern yesterday at Williams Sonoma and thought it was not very attractive in “real life,” especially in the larger sizes. I much prefer the traditional red to the tartan.

1 Like

Perhaps you’ll prefer the LC Tweed. It is twee, after all…