Laugh or cry?

I love my KA. It took me a bit to learn the tricks and use the double bowls but now I love it. I can slice onions to cheese with the blade attachment or pulse vegetables and all the pieces wash easily or go in the dishwasher. I hope you warm up to yours!

I was so upset when Braun quit making small kitchen appliances ā€“ they were workhorses and were usually the best value on the market.

1 Like

Hi, Sunshine:

I still have their burr coffee grinder, and love it.

Not such a big fan of Cuisinart FPs.

Aloha,
Kaleo

Ok - so I found an online deal & finally broke down & bought another Cuisinart. Anybody want to buy a very slightly used KA?

What a delight that new Cuisinart is. Iā€™m in love again.

3 Likes

I was just complaining to my husband last night how I hate our Magimix. The motor is great. The regular blade is great. The shredding discs make me want to take a bat to it. I was trying to grate carrots. The distance between the bottom of the lid and the top of the grating disc is too big. HUGE chunks of carrot never get shredded. I have to fish them out of the bowl and either re-shred them (which doesnā€™t always work) or I have to do chop those by hand. Thereā€™s enough pieces that donā€™t get shredded that I canā€™t afford to simply throw them out. Itā€™s great for other things, but shredding, no.

I know that feeling. Set it all up & it does a crap job. Iā€™ve been using my Cusinart to death since I got it.

John, which model did you get? I also have an older Cusinart that just keeps going.

Old ones were great. The new ones donā€™t last.

1 Like

Try one year! I bought a GE fridge (admittedly one of the cheaper ones) December 2014 with a one year warranty. This December, about a week after the one year anniversary, it started making all kinds of wacky noises. Only holds temp turned all the way up. Now I know why they hounded me for weeks after the warranty ran out, to sign up for an extended one, must be a one year time bomb in there. I finally broke down and signed up yesterday, for two more yearsā€¦not too expensive but there IS a $25 co-pay AND in addition I canā€™t call for service for another month. She even asked me if itā€™s making noises, so I guess they know whatā€™s going on. I had researched and was informed GE was the more dependable brandā€¦maybe 25 years ago!

As far as food processorsā€¦I actually had a GE model, one of the first on the consumer market back in the 1970s, and it was fantastic! Lasted me until maybe 5 or 10 years ago, canā€™t remember what happened though. So I bought an Oster and it was a piece of junk. So bad that I threw it away! I think I even tried something else after, but finally gave in and sprang for a Cuisinartā€¦am very happy now, it works fantastic and you can tell it was mostly built to last. That saidā€¦the plastic on the lid where it hooks in DID break off not long ago, while I was washing it (!!) but I stuck some duct tape on it and, so far so good. I wonder if there are glass and metal replacements available?? If it comes off again I guess Iā€™ll research further.

1 Like

Yup. We have a 5 year old KitchenAid refrigerator that has had too many issues to count. Fortunately our appliance repair guy is reasonable and honest. Last time here I asked him what appliance he would buy price no object. Not that I want to break the bank, but just want something that would last. He sort of shrugged and shook his head. He told me he had just come from a client where he was fixing their relatively new Threader built in. He said he fixes as many high end appliances as mid-low end of similar ages. Basically you canā€™t win and it only gets worse as more tech is integrated into the appliances.

1 Like

Call KitchenAid customer service and whine a bit. Iā€™ve had them send me replacement parts for out of warranty items like our shitty blender we received as a wedding gift (the pitcher leaks all over the base).

Sorry, but what is a ā€œThreader built-inā€? Google has failed me.

My apologies, auto correct strikes again. I meant Thermador.

1 Like

Agreed . . . thereā€™s just so much more to go wrong!

eh - itā€™s crap. Hell will freeze before I fix it. And since itā€™s broken I wonā€™t have to feel bad about selling it to someone. It can just go in the trash.

1 Like

Alex - the box says ā€˜Cuisinart Custom 14ā€™. Itā€™s kind of ironic I got my first Cusinart on the scramble table @ JC Pennys for 50% off the lowest price. It lasted 25 years and it was used hard. My GF got some kind of a 25% off coupon for JC Pennyā€™s Online so thatā€™s where we got this one.

Iā€™ve had it 3 months now and I still love it. Itā€™s such a simple machine.

Thanks John, that model has been around forever and is regarded well. I have a smaller version of it.