Kosher Style Pastrami

Well Sunday I will schlep over to Lox Stock and Barrel and will purchase a combo corned beef and pastrami on rye (sans the mayo :)) in hopes that the new owners have not screwed up. But tomorrows breakfast will consist of pastrami lox, courtesy of my bud who schlepped to ACME in Williamsburg today. The whole white fish he also bought me is the ONLY fish I can eat with the head still on. My fridge (and car) now has that wonderful smoked aroma. Joon Joon, you are a pastrami lox fan, right ?

I gotta be honest with you, Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™ve ever had pastrami lox! But I will certainly have some of yours!! :smiley:

Too late - already broke into it - I understand that it is available at Shoprite (perhaps the one on 66 in Neptune) or Wegmans in an expensive blister package (from Acme). I only get it when my ā€œsourceā€ goes to the Acme warehouse.

Joon joon, id Iā€™m not mistaken, I think you once wrote you like Jewish Delis. If so, let me test your knowledge. Do you know what rolled beef is ? I remember it being wonderful, like Pastrami but even better, but havenā€™t had it in decades - http://petercherches.blogspot.com/2008/09/rolled-beef-endangered-deli-meat.html

Ok so the new owners if they are really did Not screw up the corned beef or Pastrami - just finished the $16 combo with mustard Russian and coke slaw on rye - in taste itā€™s close to 2nd ave deli w/o the tolls - located in Milltown Lock Stock and Deli looks old fashioned on the inside but the sandwich was quite good. I should have skipped the $4.00 or so square knish as it looked and tasted like a Gabellas - much better then the last combo I had at Fred and Murrays in Freehold.
The meat was just right w/correct proportion of fat to meat.

I have never heard of rolled beef! Are you aware of any place that still has it?

Yes 2nd ave deli for about $50/lb and Bens Best on queens blvd queens for much less. Next time my bud goes to Acme I will ask him to stop at Bens for some.

Is smoked eel non-Kosher because it lacks scales? Did you slice the lox using the techniques perfected at Zabars? Remember that you should be able to read a newspaper through the slice of fish :eyeglasses:

Right and if you want your head to spin, determine if sturgeon is a kosher fish ā€¦ I was thinking of making an obnoxious remark but Iā€™m trying to be cognizant of some of the more sensitive readers :slight_smile:
Actually I just chugged that pastrami lox as is.

Iā€™m sorry but I used to live in Edison and Haroldā€™s is just disgusting. Awful awful food and lots of it. Mounds of meat that has been sitting around forever and is guaranteed to give you indigestion for week. The pickle bar is usually dirty and has stuff floating in it.

How anyone interested in quality can eat there is beyond me. Its a $ 30 sandwich filled with two pounds of awful meat.

I swear the only reason they survive is that there is no where else to eat close to the convention center.

Guaranteed to make you sick for three days after.

Well you learn fast I see. I would agree with you that their quality has gone down and the prices up.
While I cannot share your views on the cleanliness of the pickle bar, since the meat is not kosher it doesnā€™t quite have the same flavor as one might expect. I think his Edison place went down hill after is failed attempt on Rt 18 in East Brunswick (where Hooters is now). I have experienced some gastronomical affects after stuffing my face on the health salad as I think there is too much vinegar in it. In practice, that restaurant is equivalent to a buffet. Not worth it. The Kosher Nosh deli in Glen Rock (North Jersey) has a mini pickle bar with health salad and potato salad. I recommend that place if you are in the neighborhood. That food is simply not healthy. If you watched the Deli Man, you would remember Jay Parker (owner of Benā€™s Best). I met Jay at a wedding and he admitted to me that his clientele is looking for more healthy options.

What about that hefty whitefish, can you make salad from it? or is whitefish salad prepared from cooked fish?

I was not able to afford sandwiches at 2nd Ave Deli or Katz when I lived in Manhattan. My go to places for hot pastrami and brisket were Irish pubs like McCannā€™s or Blarney Stone. Great dives with decent steam tables and cheap beers :yum:

1 Like

Further have to add that the mere idea of pastrami lox sounds awful.

Why you would take something as delicate as cold smoked salmon and put coriander and pepper up the wazoo on it makes no sense whatsoever.

Hell, you might as well drown it in hot sauce too.

1 Like

That hefty whitefish is still in fridge waiting for my wife. go fish, at the risk of offending someone, I suggest you simply cannot compare kosher corned beef/pastrami to Blarney Stone. My wife makes brisket using a beer recipe. So is the brisket the cut of beef called navel in Pho ?

To each their own, it is what makes the foods we eat interesting. Pastrami crusted smoked salmon is now a big seller at Acme. I enjoy it as well as the guys who drove 4 hrs from Phillie to load up.

My guess is that the GI issues have more to do all the goyim picking over the pickle bar, taking a bite out of the half sours and putting them back, and sneezing on the cole slaw, er ā€œHealthā€ (Gesundheit) salad ā€¦

But you are welcome to your theories.

Vanilla ice cream is not for everyone - I take it you tried it and donā€™t like it - and I assume you prefer Norwegian smoked salmon over Acme, and that is ok too. Both have their place.

I have never noticed what you are suggesting and even if I did, I would have trouble determining the patrons ethnicity or religion. Iā€™m sure you brought that to Harolds attention.

1 Like

Probably a trend, like rodizio for non-Braziliansā€¦

Where did I see that theory?

And obviously for people who have never had and donā€™t really like good cold smoked salmon.

Eeuuww !!! (@NotJrvedivici). Norwegians ???

Youā€™ve gotta be kidding me.

Swedes and Norwegians is like Ashkenazim and Sephardim.