Kosher Style Pastrami

Very nice…didn’t even notice it was my birthday!

@RGR thanks for the info. So on Saturday the Mashgiach simply takes off if the deli stays open?

I might have to hit Richards today with this pastrami talk :slight_smile:

Well in this thread it had better be a bissel cheesecake…

1 Like

Ceej, do you like Richards or Franks better in our area?

Also, how about Irv & Karens Hot Pastrami in Brick?

I haven’t been to Franks. I don’t go to asbury too often. I think Richards is pretty good.

Aren’t there two decent places in Marlboro? I want to try those.

Jerry & Harvey’s Noshery

Fred & Murry’s Kosher Deli

I would personally have to say Richard’s, but it’s not really a fair comparison. To start, Richard’s has a few things I really like - unlimited sour and half sour pickles, cole slaw and mac salad, and they have the fat steak fries that you don’t see often. And if you’re looking for Jewish deli stuff, it’s not a contest - Frank’s doesn’t have anything outside of the standard meats. Richard’s has tongue, brisket, chopped liver, whitefish salad, all that stuff. If you’re head to head comparing things they both have, I think they’re roughly equal. Richard’s is much more of a full service restaurant whereas Frank’s is mostly a breakfast/luncheonette. I personally think Danny’s in Ocean is the best “old school” luncheonette in the immediate area (and one of a handful of places that makes their own roast beef/turkey) .

For whatever reason I really love checking out Jewish delis, I’ll def check out the two listed above. If there are other places in the area I’m willing to travel and report!

1 Like

Huge pastrami burp !!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Roz, my point exactly. If they are open Saturday supervision is questionable and therefore they claim they are Kosher. I happen to like the 2nd Ave. Deli and the fact that observant Jews might eat there doesn’t make it Kosher. Jesse and Davids and Fred and Murray’s are the same way.

Worth repeating

Hey does anyone know where there is a good selection of kosher wines in Monmouth?

I know the Rite Aid in Highland Park is well stocked, but that’s a little far for me to schlepp…

I order cases of wine from there. They have the “kosher korner”

It most likely will only be worth it if you order a case… to offset shipping. Sign up for their newsletter. They have some good stuff and they are in clifton.

Check the big Shop Rite in Neptune on RT 66… The store itself has an enormous selection of kosher food and there’s also a big wine and liquor store. I’d bet they’ll have a good selection.

Thanks. Anything over Freehold or Manalapan way???

Ok:

Ooh, I may have gotten a little half sour on the repeat… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Just came from the Neptune Shop Rite they do have a kosher wine isle at the liquor store.

1 Like

Thanks dude!

It’s time for Chanukah presents ! :six_pointed_star::six_pointed_star::six_pointed_star:

1 Like

I’m betting Wegman’s liquor store does too…

Finally tried Best Market (Holmdel) Pastrami. The $6.00 sandwich was definitely worth it, beats “Refuge” and “Sauls” in Silicon Valley, but does not compare to real Jewish style. The spice was not quite right. But for $6.00, who’s complainin… Also bought a $25 rack of ribs - for tonights family meal. The slicing person told me a vendor supplies the Pastrami (which I believe was previously reported - but since he was unaware of pastrami smoked salmon (re: pastrami lox), in my view he was clearly a novice. Also noticed a new restaurant coming where the old Ruby Palace was (something Zhang ?) -

There’s really not great Kosher Style Pastrami in Monmouth County. Sure you can get decent stuff in Fred and Murray’s or Harolds, but neither of them are the Second Ave. Deli. I’ve heard that you can get good deli in Lakewood. One place mentioned was Yapchik. I’m sure there are others. One of these days I’ll make a field trip to try.

I never found good Kosher deli in Lakewood.
2nd ave deli, Mill Basin deli to me a throw backs in
Terms of recipe and execution of pastrami and corned beef - so good that eaten hot or cold is just heaven on earth. I’m sure there are others but yes, not in Monmouth county - yet - breakfast today was Acme whitefish salad on a kossars bagel wheel - also heaven on earth

1 Like