Kosher Style Pastrami

Just being well rounded. Here on this side of the state finding good pastrami is rare. I gotta make my own

just to clarify, no email was sent. just the post upthread. now, back to pastrami.

2 Likes

Ok, but Iā€™ll bet Governor Goodyear likes pastrami (sorry, couldnā€™t resistā€¦)

Does Poopa include any hot pastrami recipes in Aromas of Aleppo?

No pastrami recipes in her book. But I love it so like to make it.

Circa 2005-ish I was an invited guest to New Jersey Governor Richard Cody Christmas party. The venue was a mansion in North Jersey not too far from The Manor in West Orange (if memory serves me correctly) - the location was rumored to have been where they shot the indoor pool sceneā€™s from the iconic movie Cocoon.

Anyway the party was a cocktail party rather than a sit down dinner, several bars and several stations of food with a lot of room to mingle in the Governors presence. At one point the Gov. Cody placed himself in front of the raw bar and as people came up to speak to him, he ate shrimp after shrimp after shrimp after shrimp. Honestly over about 30 minutes the man had to have consumed 50+ shrimp. Impressive.

Bonus points if anyone can think of the name of the mansion this was held at!

I was implying that kosher style pastrami cannot be found anywhere near where I live. The kosher sections of my local Wegmans markets have gone from so-so to downright pathetic with the revamping of their stores. They donā€™t even carry the Hebrew National brand anymore.

I have it tooā€¦

Wow, he must have crapped like a seal (no offense @sealā€¦).

What you are thinking of is the Pleasantdale Chateau:

The Pleasantdale Chateau has been used in Law & Order and other films. While the pool house at the Chateau is similar with the columns, the scenes in the pool house from Cocoon were filmed in Tampa/St Pete. They were a scene built over somebodyā€™s outdoor pool, and as far as I am aware the location remains private.

Iā€™ve been to the Pleasantdale Chateau for a number of corporate events, food is ok but not great. I do recall some killer sliced roast beast with horseradish sauce and spicy mustard on little hard rolls that was pretty good. No shrimp though.

Ha!! Thank you, for the life of me I could not remember the name of the location. I guess the rumor regarding Cacoon was a false one, but the pool room is certainly an impressive one. Thanks!

Btw my left knee could use 20 mins in one of those pools after hanging Xmas lights over the weekend.

Can a person who is not Jewish own a kosher eatery and manage it? Just curious

Depends on your rabbi

And they canā€™t serve shrimp or no. 1 Jimmies.

Depends on their rabbi

Isnā€™t the rule has to have fins and scales?

I was making a joke because some reform Jews donā€™t follow the kosher laws

Yes, as long as they adhere to the dietary laws and have on the premises a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mashgiach
And to be clear, not all Jewish style delis are Kosher - as you know Harolds for instance is not Kosher. This gets complicated if a restaurant claims they are Kosher but are open on Saturday.

Thanks for the explanation. I do realize all of the delis arenā€™t kosher but I just was curious about the other question.

Do any places in NJ have a nice pickle bar like harolds?

Not sure what you mean by ā€œclaims to be Kosher.ā€ There are certified Kosher delis that are open on Saturday. 2nd Ave. Deli in NYC is a good example. They adhere strictly to Kosher dietary laws, i.e., no non-Kosher products or dairy on the menu, but are open on Saturday. (They do close on Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, and the entire week of Passover.) Many observant Jews patronize 2nd Ave.; however, Glatt Kosher Jews do not and will eat only at Glatt Kosher delis which are closed on Shabbat.

My Blog
My Flickr

I see itā€™s someoneā€™s cake day!!!