Kosher Style Pastrami

The one I used to go to was in East Hanover? I think. And at least as of a couple years ago there was a weird Harold’s/Arthur’s mashup around Secaucus. Man I’m hungry!

Yeah he would start them ten sell. Go to Edison - and let me know if you need “the deli man”

Grandmother from Aleppo. Syrian Jewish is my heritage. Got cumin in my blood

1 Like

Yes, but did you buy a stereo from Eddie Antar ???

But no corned beef, pastrami, or stuffed cabbage, right ? But rice during Passover …

No. Born in Tampa. Not on my radar

The first Harold’s I can recall was up at the top of the hill on Rt. 10 in Randolph…I mean, I was probably 10. It was a LONG time ago. :grin:

The Harold’s in Lyndhurst is still there, and I think the Arthur’s is still part of it…__

Hey, guess who wrote the text book on Syrian jewish food:

Poopa Dweck of Deal, NJ !!!

Married to Sam Dweck.

Coincidence? I think not. Gotta be related.

Anybody got the inside poop ? (Sorry that one I could not resist).

I have Poopa’s book. It’s sitting on my coffee table in my family room

Not exactly the same as my grandmother’s but close enough.

My take on Syrian jewish food is that it is pretty similar to Persian, Lebanese and Turkish food, but without yoghurt or other dairy based sauces. Lots of pilafs, stuffed veg, lamb curries, bulgar salads, savory meat pies, and lots and lots of kibbie. A little more sweet and sour to make up for the lack of dairy. Allspice, cumin, pomegranate, rose water, tamarind, garlic, lemon, onion, honey, pine nuts, pistachios. It’s pretty tasty actually.

I make pastrami on my smoker. Stuff grape leaves over cabbage. And eat rice on Passover. The rest of the Jewish community is just warming up to the fact that grains that were not forbidden on Passover are not forbidden

I remember my wife’s first Sedar at my family’s table. She was like '“what am I suppose to eat”? Now she prefers it.

That book is not Kosher as the photographers name is Bacon … Dwek is a common name, right ?

It’s the last name of the Rev in Deal, I’m pretty sure they are all members of the same family from Aleppo.

Shlomo was the Rev’s son. He got his start in fundraising for the shul before he turned to real estate and then to state’s evidence. I think @NotJrvedivici may have some more details.

Yeah, but pastrami is not Syrian, it’s Turkish/Romanian by way of NYC right?

I read somewhere that pastrami basically started out as a seasoned jerky or dried meat but morphed into something else in NYC in the 1880s.

You’ve got the general gist.

Did he ever do time? I heard he rolled over on a bunch of people.

4 years. Got out 2015. His father disowned him in front of the whole congregation for turning in Jews. 3 other Syrian rabbis got caught in the sting.

Don’t forget the organ smuggling with the Russian immigrants…

Sounds about right including the disowning by his father. Personally I have a hard time feeling sorry for anyone who got involved with him once he flipped and became a “cooperating informant”.

Our largish governor played a largish role in that whilst he was US attorney.

Not that this is an endorsement one way or the other.

They did use Dwek, however, to nail a bunch of Hudson county Democrats, which could help to explain the persistence of Bridgegate.

There is one diner up there that the feds love to use for operations, I’m going to make sure that is not on my list to try.

So I received an email from the web master reminding me that no political conversations are allowed so I will not respond to your post. having said that let me say the following. A few years ago I was sitting in a corporate box at the rock Devils vs Rags. The honorable Chris Christie was sitting two boxes from me. Some where I have pictures of him stuffing the free hot dogs in his punnum (look up that Yiddish word) so I assumed by his eating hot dog after hot dog he was endorsing the cuisine. Upon leaving his contingency sans the governor rode my elevator - I asked the body guard how the he’ll can that helicopter lift him up - he smiled then said excuse me and ran out of the elevator. Those hot dogs musta been good.