Knife Recommedation: What are some good $80-150 Western Style Chef's knives?

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/zwilling-ja-henckels-pro/serrated-chefs-knife-p133509 This one, only it cost me $28 out of pocket with a sale of additional 20% off and the use of a WS GC I had from a product failure good will gesture.

1 Like

That looks like a sweet piece even at $99. Looks like both the serrated & non serrated have 15 degree blade angles which is in line with the internet mystery knife. Havenā€™t held either but given how long a ā€œgoodā€ knife can last when properly treated I donā€™t think a person can go wrong with the top of the line ā€œHā€ or ā€œWā€

1 Like

It was $79 at Williams Sonoma when I bought it; with tax and shipping minus the Pottery Barn gc I got in addition to a refund of $780 for a bum slipcover, it was a Very Sweet Deal. I just used cutlery and more here for a bigger picture.

You canā€™t go wrong with that!

Iā€™m glad you think so, since you were so disapproving of my use of serrated steak knives long ago on CH. :wink: Iā€™m going to have to buy the non serrated Pro, too. I just love the way this one feels in my hand.

Ouch :joy: Thats funny.

I just donā€™t like sawing steak. With the ceramic rod its just too east to clean up straight edge steak knives.

Iā€™m too lazy, and I eat steak a lot. But I make nice, clean cuts. I use a Chefā€™s Choice for my knives, and a steel on occasion just before use.

But back to this serrated chefā€™s knife, a first for me; itā€™s wonderful on delicate tomato skin and hard stuff, too.

How long do you have it?

Since mid August or so.

I think there is a big difference in quality / sharpness between the forged serrated chefā€™s s knife you got and the typical stamped serrated blades out there. I have a 20 yr old forged Wusthof serrated bread knife that has never been sharpened and if I pulled it across the palm of my hand under its own weight it would cut me. We also never cut on anything but soft boards.

I actually have two other serrated knives, one a two dollar bread knife that cuts like a razor after two decades of use, another a new offset bread knife of much higher quality thatā€™s no better at cutting. Gotta love it. I use the cheap one because it goes in the dishwasher, takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Personally, I wouldā€™t spend my money on either a Henckels or a Wusthof when the stamped Victorinox are around. Although, you can get a forged Victorinox ā€¦ made in Germany.

Iā€™m just not a fan of hot-forged German knives, I guess. :smile:

My buddy. :joy:

LOL, yeah, finally found the trail of breadcrumbs over here ā€¦ :smiley:

1 Like

Our cookware section is still growing. However, some of our regional boards and the home cooking boards are getting busy.

I have funded several kickstarter campaigns and have gotten some great products. I see the campaigns as falling into 2 major categories: the first is developing a product. The funders get the product, usually at a really good price. I got an amazing locally produced spice rack this way. Also a ā€œmake your own bittersā€ kit. The second category is the ā€œhelp me finance my businessā€ campaigns, and I agree with you. WTF, isnā€™t this what banks are for?

2 Likes

Iā€™d suggest you look at a Mac. I bought my son one and we were both impressed with it. He has been a cook and I have just had a lot of knivesā€¦
I love my big, 8-1/4" Boker and like my medium, 7" Shun and I have lots of workhorse Henckels.
My favorite is a 6", 2mm thick bladed Japanese knife that is a dream on tomatoes and lighter veggies. It is two steels, laminated, and the cutting steel turns black while the rest is Stainless. Was not that expensive. I think I discovered it through a recommendation and ordered it directly from Japan. Have no idea of the name. I canā€™t read Japanese!

Wellā€¦ I did love the Bobby Darin version of the songā€¦

Hi Chem,

The Wusthof Xline was sold as an exclusive by Williams-Sonoma as the Wusthof Precision. When they were discontinued, I purchased two 3.5" paring knives ($35 ea.) and one 6" Chefā€™s knife ($50). I gave one paring knife and the 6" as gifts to close friends and kept the second paring knife. Itā€™s terrific!

They are sometimes available as Wusthof Precision on EBAY, but no longer at the prices I paid. The Xline version is available online at Chef Knives to You and at Amazonā€“but at prices more like the Classic Ikon (or higher):

http://www.chefknivestoyou.com/category/wusthofxline.html

Ray

Why not a fan of hot-forged German knives?