Kitchen scale recommendations?

Yes to accuracy, and also consistency!

And it’s important to choose a scale that will be accurate for the amounts you want it to weigh. Often a super-sensitive one for weighing tiny amounts won’t handle larger items well, and vice versa. The most recommended ones will cover the vast majority of kitchen jobs (a main reason they get recommended), but if you’re sometimes going to need to weigh very large amounts, or frequent very small amounts, you might need more than one scale.

If you need it to be reliable to the gram, then get one that’s reliable at least to tenths of a gram. If you need to see the tenths, then buy one that’s good enough for hundredths. And so on.

2 Likes

These days kitchen scales are pretty inexpensive. I went through a couple of times. At the end, this is the one I have. Aside from being an accurate and precise scale, there are three main reasons I like it:

1. The single glass surface makes it easy to clean.
  2. AAA batteries requirement makes it easier to use rechargeable batteries
  3. The relatively large surface makes it easier to put a big container without obstructing my view.

https://www.amazon.com/Nicewell-Graduation-Waterproof-Tempered-Platform/dp/B0811RX62R/

I also have a smaller scale for much smaller weighting like weighting out matcha or tea leaves…etc.

4 Likes

Etekcity model 6015. Maybe I got it on Amazon. I know it was very affordable. It’s another one of those flat ones about the size of a Kindle tablet.

2 Likes

I have that ancient Terraillon as well. Although the readout tilts toward the light, somehow it always seems to be in a shadow, and hard to see.

1 Like

It is… but it doesn’t make me remember to put the empty container on the scale before I start :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s the one I have. And I like it for the same reason. Plus, Oxo really stands behind their product. My previous scale started getting wonky after many years and I got in touch with Oxo and they replaced it free of charge. It was way passed warranty.

4 Likes

Top contender during a Wirecutter review.

2 Likes

@tomatotomato OXO’s is not this accurate/sensitive.

1 Like

We were really scared to pry it off and potentially damage the scale, as it’s on there good!

2 Likes

:exploding_head:this workaround never occured to me

1 Like

I started buying OXO almost exclusively for this reason. They’ve replaced a salad spinner and lemon juicer, among other things, years later.

3 Likes

This comes to usage, if your main use is cooking plus a bit of casual baking, it’s fine. If you want to get very serious in baking, and need to use a lot of chemicals, either you can invest in a small scale for precise measurement or a bigger scale if you only want 1 scale. A good bigger one can be quite expensive. My small scale is reserve to measure things under 50g and mainly in form of powder. The scale is so small, you can’t put a big bowl on it.

H joked that Beueur scale I have (1g accuracy) is no good for selling drugs. The new one, I surely can😃. It recommended you calibrate with some weight every few months due to atmosphere air pressure change.

3 Likes

I have an OXO salad spinner with a chip on the plastic lid, but it has way passed 2 years, not sure the guarantee is as generous as in US.

(Off topic) I had a problem once with Foodsaver, they said I need to pay to get the replacement pieces and the price I was ridiculously high. Finally I asked someone in the States to mail me and it was cheaper.

3 Likes

I use this Ozeri digital scale for making bread and it’s never failed me. Really inexpensive too.

https://smile.amazon.com/Ozeri-ZK14-S-Digital-Multifunction-Kitchen/dp/B004164SRA

2 Likes

I was sure that when I pulled the top off I would never get it back together but figured I had to try. I ran into the kitchen with the base and the top in my hands and The Sprout thought I was crazy! There was a lot of flour underneath - yuck. It’s clean now! And still works fine.

3 Likes

I’m definitely a casual baker so it is fine for me. I do measure in grams as I think it is more accurate than ounces.

3 Likes

Either unit can be subdivided, but the fact that 0.1 ounce is almost 3 grams makes it likely that grams are more accurate in practice.

1 Like

I bought one a long time ago, mostly because I thought I should have one. I haven’t used it much because I don’t bake much at all (DH is a great baker, so where’s the incentive?). Guess I should check the battery to see if it’s corroding, now that I think of it

1 Like

When my grinder stopped working, though they did not give me a free one, they did let me choose $100 worth of anything they make.

1 Like

I just submitted for replacement a balloon whisk that pulled apart as I was gently hand-washing it.

2 Likes