Kimchi Mama NJ

Very nice write up. I’m so glad to hear you got to go and that you enjoyed it!

1 Like

We had the Shaken Shake boiled seafood, with crawfish (see above). It is on a separate menu which looks bigger than it actually is as it is really only various combinations of different seafoods you can order as well as a couple of extra items you can add. We liked it a lot.

1 Like

So happy you all enjoyed it! And I concur on the ‘hot’ sauces - nothing I couldn’t handle, and I still think those wings are some of the best I’ve ever had. Need to test them again to be sure, of course… :rofl:

I have to be honest that I just don’t get the whole Louisiana/boil side of things. I mean, I understand that there are large Asian populations in LA, but as a restaurant concept, I’ve had a ton of locals say they don’t understand it and they’re just excited for Korean food. It’ll be interesting to see if/how it changes, but I’m still happy they’re here!

2 Likes

The seafood boil aspect comes from the owner’s uncle, who worked for decades in the seafood industry in NYC. (Currently sitting at the counter here, anxiously awaiting my hot-bop and mango bubble tea!)

3 Likes

We will be back in town in a couple of weeks and I will go check out the boil side of things and give my two cents in that as a south Louisiana boy

2 Likes

Spicy pork hot-bop, which comes with miso soup, salad and kimchi. So delicious. Definitely getting wings next time!

11 Likes

I don’t get the seafood boil trend either. It’s become very popular in Long Island, where the in-laws live, and I suspected it would creep into New Jersey. The former Clancy’s in Neptune is now Sea Crab.

Yes - and the people who own Sea Crab own another spot (with a different name) on Rt 66 in Neptune in the strip next to Home Depot.

The seafood boil isn’t ever a draw for me because I have an allergy to hard shellfish, but I’m still curious to see if it ‘sticks’ around here.

1 Like

We once went to a Greek-Vietnamese restaurant in Scottsdale that had gyros banh mi. It was owned by a couple, one of whom was Greek-American and one was Vietnamese-American. (I don’t think it’s there any more.)

1 Like

Oh there are place here in New Orleans that have a po-mi, a cross between a PO boy and bahn mi.

Fusion is great but I’m a purist when it comes to crawfish, if they are boiled properly there is no reason for seasoning on the outside of them.
But I will gladly try it

1 Like

Man those wings look insane!! I went to a thing at the Saint and popped my head in but didn’t order anything.

2 Likes

They’re FANTASTIC.

1 Like

I’ve been to Kimchi Mama about four times now and have ordered the wings EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!

3 Likes

Not that I’m highly respectful of NJ.Com, but the word is out.

2 Likes

And they announced today that they have ICE CREAM! Can’t tell if it’s made by them or not, but you know I’ll get the answer. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Now that I’ve read the NJ.com article, I have to publicly say that I can’t believe they didn’t try the wings! SERIOUSLY, PEOPLE.

But I concur with the comments about the Miso soup - pretty sure I said it was the best I’d ever had.

2 Likes

I, as I know you do, follow them on Instagram. To me it doesn’t seem like they make it, or at least all of it. Some of it looked very generic. I guess we’ll have to stop by for some wings and ice cream one of these days and verify the provenance.

1 Like

Riiiiiight!!! No wings!!!

I’m down for wings and ice cream!

1 Like

Last night I ordered from KM - a rarity for me, as even throughout the pandemic, takeout has never been my preference. But I needed an actual meal after a long week, so I got the veg mandu and an order of the Hot Bop, which is spicy pork and vegetables stir-fried and served over rice. It had been far too long since I’d had their food, and it was a great reminder of just how good it is… the mandu were crispy and light, and the pork was DELICIOUS. If I have one complaint, it’s that there was too much rice (for me) - as in, I have a couple of scoops of it in the fridge. Thankfully it has that yummy spicy sauce on it! There was a bag w miso soup and a few containers of a VERY spicy pickled cucumber, which I loved - still have 2 more in the fridge for later today.

9 Likes

Great minds think alike!!! I was there yesterday for early dinner. Seated at 4:30 to 5:30? There was only one other table occupied. I’ve been there before 1-2 yrs ago when it was recently opened and it was very busy so I was a little surprised not that busy. Food was great , service was personal and attentive. A generous variety of Banchan and a balanced menu with decent portions and fair pricing. I left wondering …why am I not here more often?

6 Likes