Kimchi - bought the jar; now what do I do with it?

What not to do with Kimchi! I love to make a tomato-cabbage-sauerkraut-kimchi “soup” with chick peas and shrimp/chicken/sausage. I will put it on homemade pizza. Eggs, tacos. I usually have a gallon jar in the fridge. Which reminds me…time to make Kimchi!

3 Likes

This showed up in my Facebook feed this morning from Bon Appétit Magazine…

29 Fiery Recipes to Use Up that Jar of Kimchi in Your Fridge

2 Likes

You’re lucky. I would like a jar, but the Asian stores are far from here, can’t go there.

This reminds me of perhaps the greatest thread title of all time, “what can I do with my kimchee besides stand in front of the fridge and eat it” from Chowhound. Here it is for reference. https://www.chowhound.com/post/kimchee-stand-front-fridge-eat-308137

IMO the single best way to enjoy kimchi is with Korean (any Japonica) rice and seasoned roasted seaweed. You need nothing else and it really brings out the flavor of the kimchi.

3 Likes

Oh. The second best way to have kimchi IMO is with pork belly. Fry up some pork belly and consume with preferably fresh kimchi. Or if you have sour kimchi fry it up in the pork fat. Add a little fresh chili and garlic for a little extra bite.

Or you can do a pork and kimchi stew/braise type thing. Like a kimchi jjigae but just go super heavy on the pork.

3 Likes

Thanks, all. Some tasty ideas there.

Did kimchee fried rice last night, with a few mushrooms and prawns. Really nice. It used about half the jar so something else Korean from your suggestions in the coming couple of weeks.

2 Likes

Your jar might explode by then! :laughing:

(I personally love my kimchee VERY ripe and fizzy.)

Digga - is that a serious warning or just a joke?

The woman at the farmers market told me it does “ripen” over time

If you keep it in the fridge, it’s fine. The cool temperatures slow down the fermentation process enough to keep it intact. I’ve accidentally left kimchi on my counter for an hour or two after coming back from the market, and that baby was definitely fizzing and spitting by the time I noticed. It went back into the fridge without further problems (or taste issues).