Kimchi - bought the jar; now what do I do with it?

I may have asked this last time I bought a jar but can’t find anything.

So, I bought a jar at the farmers market the other week. You remember the “other week”? That was before all this corona stuff.

Now, I know the couple of times I’ve eaten in Korean restaurants, kimchi is usually served separately as a condiment. And I do remember making a fried rice with some of the kimchi stirred through and I’ll make that again. But, do you have any suggestions for other dishes I can incorporate it into. The cupboard has a fairly basic stock of East Asian ingredients - the likes of soy, hoisin, oyster sauces, sesame oil, dried Sichuan chillis, etc , But nothing specifically Korean so I need recipes that might be, erm, a bit more generic, rather than traditional (I’m locked down so no trips to Chinatown for me).

TIA

1 Like

I’ve had some kimchi mac and cheese before that was pretty tasty.

1 Like

Kimchi jjigae

or Kimchi soup

I don’t think either would require a shopping trip - your Sichuan stuff can likely substitute for Korean stuff.

3 Likes

My lazy way of using it: rice bowl with fried egg + optional shrimp, tofu, steamed veg + kimchi.

3 Likes

BLT, grilled cheese, in any panini

3 Likes

Bulgogi style meat (chicken/fish/beef) tacos with sour cream and kimchi. Chicken sandwiches - sub kimchi for pickles.

1 Like

Kimchi mayo is always good for dips or sandwiches @Harters.

1 Like

I eat kimchi fairly often. Usually have it in a kimchi rice bowl. I place the kimchi in the bottom of the bowl. I top this with cooked rice ( I prefer brown rice for this). On top of this is my protein of choice. My favourite is poached salmon but I have used pork meatballs and breaded chicken . The last one is particularly useful at the moment given the shopping situation. I then add charred spring onions , sliced. On top of all this is a fried egg with runny yolk. Squirt on hoisin sauce and siracha, break yolk , mix together and dig in.

3 Likes

Love kimchi but prefer it as a side, that’s when the taste is best (to me). The crispiness of the cabbage (or radish or whatever the veg used), the freshness and the taste.

Though I enjoyed it a lot in other dishes when I was in Korea. Note that you probably have to use a lot in order to give it the colour and taste. In Korea it’s no problem.

Pork-kimchi dumplings are very common. Lovely in noodle soup.

Steamed dumplings eaten like part of dim sum.

In pancakes

In soup with thinly sliced fatty cut of beef and tofu. Kimchi jiggae. (Though, I like Doenjang jiggae more. Doenjiang is a fermented miso paste)

Yeah, kimchi is often an option to pair with rice, especially on days when I don’t feel like cooking a lot of dishes and already have rice at home.

With that being said, kimchi is actually great on hotdogs, so if you have any hanging around for emergencies, give it a try.

1 Like

I’ve made these Kimchi pancakes a few times. Nice.

1 Like

I like it in omelets, I also add it to coleslaw with a creamy sriracha dressing.

All of these great ways of using kimchi is making me crave kimchi!

1 Like

Kimchi fried rice is really good too

2 Likes

Agree! Also very easy to make assuming you have rice. Like other fried rices you can mix in scrambled eggs, leftover meat and veggies, etc.

Can leave out the gochujang if you don’t have it.

1 Like

Kimchi is an excellent taco topping.

1 Like

In London last year at a fun coffee roastery/resto , I enjoyed a savory snack that sounds weird but is delicious: A scone filled with kimchi + feta cheese.

2 Likes

I’d cook fried rice, kimchi soup and kimchi pancake. If you have instant noodles at home you can even add it in to make it more flavourful. I think kimchi pancake might be the easiest to make because you probably have most of the ingredients at home already (flour and egg).

Diced up and added to scallion pancake dough.

How about an omelet with kimchi. Actually, it’s good to eat with plain rice.