Ketchups and Mustards and any other condiments you love

Homemade ketchup? Nice! I wouldn’t ever go through the hassle of making my own.

Mayo, sure. Mustard? Probably not? Ketchup? Nah.

But I make a lot of sauces and dips from scratch.

1 Like

No; red pepper paste. I think in the area some similar versions go by different names. Im looking.

Oh, duh! Your DIL is in Turkey, correct?

Yes; they live between here and there, and her mother makes it for her to bring when they come here.

Here’s a thread from a few years ago.

1 Like

That’s pretty funny given that you grow aji and make your own aji amarillo :rofl:

Kids! :upside_down_face:

The chile lime crema sounds like… crema + tajin?

2 Likes

I was hoping they involved mayonnaise. Somehow I associate Sir Kensington with the UK and mayonnaise, but this appears to be from NY.

A thread about red pepper paste.

I used to be able to find sambal bajak, I think a cooked version, but not lately. Now I “need” some.

Ingredients look like they’re flavored mayos, no?

Iirc the Musa D episode of Chef’s Table had a portion on how this is prepared in the sun every summer (or maybe it was something else I watched around the same time). Reminded me of Indian pickle and other peak summer preservation (now’s the season).

1 Like

Where are you finding ingredients? I can’t seem to fifnd them, even on the website in an article titled “Behind the Label”.

NVM. Found it.

No, originally from Tunisia, harissa does not have tomatoes. It is a chile sauce or paste typically made of dry red chiles, garlic, citrus, extra virgin olive oil and a few warm spices including cumin, coriander, and caraway seeds .

6 Likes

This is my go-to. We’re not in horseradish country, and this isn’t bad at all. In fact it’s the household standard here. I love it

1 Like

I have never seen Primal Kitchen.

1 Like

No surprises there.

2 Likes

They did the test in 2018, too. No surprises there, either.

Consider yourself charmed.

That stuff is more like marinara sauce than ketchup. Bad marinara sauce, at that.

3 Likes

After seeing this topic, I decided to replace the four-year-old bottle of Sir Kensington ketchup. It’s nowhere to be found here. I looked on their website, and it isn’t mentioned there either. I wrote to them from the website.

1 Like

You mean this one?

Great, but I don’t need 148oz of any condiment. That site does have single-serving packets, though, in a reasonable quantity. The Sir Kensington site doesn’t show any ketchups at the retail level.

3 Likes

Well, it’s been discontinued.

May be time to stock up.

That, and you never when the next Zombie apocalypse will strike us.

1 Like

Finally, a use for my pandemic stash …

2 Likes