Jimmy's Asbury Park, NJ (Prior-Ho’ Down- Now open discussion)

We just had dinner here tonight. @NotJrvedivici Sorry to report this because I know you love this place but there were a few things that I didn’t love. I doubt we will return. The valet parking is annoying especially at a time that is clearly not busy but whatever. The restaurant is oddly situated, you have to walk through the bar and the server station to get to the restaurant. It felt dark and dated, Think banquet hall from the 90’s. The service was painfully, painfully slow. We were there 2 hours and didn’t get dessert or a check (others were paying). But, there were some highlights. I thought my food was tasty. Enormous but tasty. I like that a salad and a side came with the entrees. The prices seemed fair based on the hugeness of the portions. I didn’t see a drink menu so I can’t comment on that. Good Italian is so good, but I just can’t seem to find it around here!! WHY!?

2 Likes

We too, were at Jimmy’s on Sunday. It was a perfect day for an early classic Sunday sauce carafe of Chianti hair of the dog carbo load. And Jimmy’s, as always, delivered. The trick is to eat at the bar. We’ve been to Jimmy’s many times and I have never even seen the dining room. As long as Alan is at the bar, (and the stupid Giants are on the TV) there is no reason. Unless there’s like 10 of y’all. Anyhoo, the food was great, and the SHRIMP SCAMPI PIZZA deserves like 10 million awards.

2 Likes

Yeah I could see how the bar would be fun. The dining room is weird. We had too many and a kid so the bar was out. Glad to here you enjoyed. We probably walked right by you!

1 Like

Showing some love to one of my all time favorites. I did take out from Jimmy’s today and it was fantastic. Absolutely same quality and quantity of dining in.

While I didn’t get a close up look, I did see the tent set up in the very back of the lot. It’s a good size and disappears behind the building. My buddy the valet said they have only 2 six tops and the rest is 2’s & 4’s, about 60 people total.

Remember to support your local favorites!

6 Likes

I can only hope that no camera vigilante picks an angle for a photo that once published will discourage people from visiting one of my favorite places as well. Please support Jimmy’s, or do what Tom D’Ambrisi’s hat says.

3 Likes

“…vigilante picks an angle…,” I resent the implication. I documented what I saw as I walked out of Beach Tavern. I was too concerned with getting out as fast as I could to pause and consider angle. “…do what Tom D’Ambrisi’s hat says…” So not cool dude. That’s not what we’re about here. :rage:

It was suggested on this site that I should have taken photos of my fave place for their doing it wrong.

Agree: Support Jimmy’s. I don’t need a nasty qualifier.

2 Likes

Chillax…this had nothing to do with you.

3 Likes

Have to agree… While it’s true that photos can be manipulated, nobody was questioning @fershore about that. Referencing the divisive owner of another restaurant just doesn’t seem productive, nor is it reflective of the tone of this site.

1 Like

Agreed!! Everyone knows it’s all about the angles.

1 Like

We had a wonderful outdoor dinner at Jimmy’s tonight. This was our first outdoor dining experience.

First, everyone was properly masked from Hostess to Wait staff to Owner visiting tables. There are two tents with lights set up behind the restaurant. They have regular chairs and tables with full linen, tableware and silverware. They use real glasses for water and wine unlike some places that use plastic outdoors. Every table was full and they were turning away people without reservations. When we left at 8:45 four more cars were pulling up to the valet so they were still seating people.

The food was excellent as always and the service was the same as always. The weather tonight was perfect and we really enjoyed the whole experience very much.

6 Likes

Excellent!!! So glad to hear the space was satisfactory with table spacing etc. I couldn’t see from where I was waiting for my take out. Also glad you enjoyed and finally got out!!

5 Likes

Pictures please!! @NotJrvedivici, if all agree.

2 Likes

No need to ask my permission if you got them show them!

1 Like

Here’s a pic from our outdoor dining last night

4 Likes

That is absolutely stunning @seal! Wow and wow.

3 Likes

Yeah, Jimmy’s did a nice job with their outdoor dining!

Just kidding obviously, it’s San Felice in Italy.

4 Likes

Lol, I was getting ready to check my calendar, because I didn’t think it was the full moon already!

3 Likes

Sometimes a sunny Sunday in a dark bar is just the remedy for an ill advised Saturday night. Cold antipasto, hot scarpariello, and the sweet Chianti drowning of Sunday regrets. Thank you, Jimmy’s and Sean at the bar who’s a friend of mine.

13 Likes

Does he get you your drinks for free? ( with apologies to Billy Joel )

3 Likes

Alas there was no Davy, just Sunday gravy, sopped up with good bread by my wife.

3 Likes