Jif peanut butter - back in your local stores yet?

Maybe consider ordering it from Amazon

Hey Nate. Jif creamy was restocked here about 4 or 5 weeks ago. No crunchy yet. I think the brand took a big hit as people got used to alternatives. Despite being “back” it has about 1/4 of its prior shelf space here.

1 Like

This is a perfect time to switch to an adult peanut butter that is not loaded with added sugar and transfats. If it is available in your area I recommend Teddie. It is made from peanuts, only peanuts and bit of salted if you buy the salted version.

We’re lucky to have a nut butter factory here in town.

I like almond a lot more than peanut.
They give away cases to our food bank too.
Good folks.

I’m pretty sure we have both crunchy and smooth Jif here on the west coast, to answer the original question.

2 Likes

A locally-owned small grocer here grinds their own. Chunky, no sugar, no salt, no nothing in the tub at all except for peanuts and their own oil. It’s all I buy.

2 Likes

Sounds pretty good but I do like a little salt in it. We’ve been buying the Smuckers natural and (mentioned upthread by Mr. Grownup) Teddies natural, both with salt. They’re both pretty good.

We got a few of these doo-dads which are surprisingly efficient at stirring in the separated peanut oil.

P.S. Jif now sells something risibly labeled “NATURAL” which apparently means they decreased the salt, palm oil, sugar, and/or molasses at least a little bit, because all are still on the ingredients list.

Apparently that word has no regulation.

Edit - label comparison between regular and “Natural” Jif seems to indicate they dropped the salt a bit, with sodium content going from 140 to 80 mg/33g serving. Added sugar content remains at 2g/33g, no changes to fat content (and despite a comment upthread, 0 g trans fats according to the labels of both regular and natural).

1 Like

I just salt mine with sea salt flakes - just a wee sprinkled bit. Sugar comes from the jelly or preserves lol.

1 Like

I like Jif and Skippy about the same. Do they still make Planter’s Peanut Butter? I remember that being good. The “natural” stuff without added sugar or salt is ok, it just needs some sugar and salt.

2 Likes

And some transfats ffs.

At my local store.
If there’s a regular crunchy they don’t have it stocked.

1 Like

I’m beginning to think that there’s a Jif hoarder that’s buying all the stock in my local supermarket! There’s still a lot of shelf space dedicated to it, but it’s always empty. I may buy it online as suggested.
We’re too old and set in our ways to switch brands now!

2 Likes

I’ve been buying this since Jif disappeared for a bit:

We don’t eat a ton of peanut butter, but I like it a lot and will probably keep buying it once we use up this 16 oz container.

2 Likes

Look at the label. It says “peanut butter spread.” That means it is not real peanut butter. If you look up the ingredients you will find: Peanuts, cane sugar, palm oil, salt. Personally, I like my peanut butter to made from peanuts without added sugar or highly saturated fats.

Well, to be fair to @Amandarama , this is a thread of Jif Peanut Butter and compared to Jif’s ingredients, the Peanut Butter & Co. stuff is pretty pristine.

Jif’s ingredients below

1 Like

True. My favorite is Teddie. It is made with peanuts. Period. And a bit of salt unless you buy the unsalted one.

That’s nice. Enjoy.

2 Likes

Right.

And I could say, well, then, why not make your own. It’s more cost-effective and more environmentally friendly.

But I won’t and wouldn’t.

Because you know, “you do you”

2 Likes

I suppose I should try making my own.

If you enjoy pure PB, you should.

But I get the resistance some people have with doing it on their own. One, it requires a food processor, which means it also requires cleaning, and it also requires buying peanuts in bulk (b/c if you buy in those small containers, it’s actually cost-prohibitive compared to buying packaged PB).

It’s a labor of love.

Sort of like mayonnaise. It’s arguably cheaper and easier just to buy the damn thing. But making it at home just really elevates it to another level (assuming you like mayo to begin with, which I do).

But yeah, it’s worth a shot.

As always, you do you!
tenor-43969413

The majority of our stores here in tiny town have a fresh peanut butter grinder in house.
Perhaps our hippie/ healthy ethos shining through.