Jarred Bean Salad???

Years ago I used to buy S&W jarred bean salad, which was made with green beans, wax beans, pintos, garbanzos, onions/peppers/vinegars/etc., and was refreshing and delicious. However it seems it is now a thing of the past. In fact, the only bean salad my Safeway stocks is Green Giant Canned (GG can’d beans suck).

Anybody know if there is a really good replacement available, and where to buy it online?

Or a really good recipe using fresh green beans (and can you even buy fresh wax beans?) with dried chickpeas/pintos?

I really like Paisley Farm 5 bean salad. I can buy it at Kroger when I go to Ohio to visit my mother and a long time ago when we had a membership to BJ’s in Massachusetts I could buy it in very large jars at BJ’s but only got it when we were having a lot of people visit. Here is a link https://paisleyfarmfoods.com/

1 Like

I googled it and there are several online sites that sell it. In addition, S & W has a few bean salad recipes. You may need to add in the green beans though. I remember eating it years ago and liking it. Good luck and report back!

2 Likes

I saw the S&W recipes, but found no where online to buy the finished product. Instacart lists it but not in my area. Other places show up in Google, but when you go to them they say it is not available. Plus it is no longer on the S&W site. In fact, it appears S&W no longer sells any beans/veggies sourced from fresh.

Plus having to open four 15 oz cans of beans to make their recipe is a little crazy as there is no way I am going thru 4 pounds of it before it goes off.

2 Likes

I have used Read
https://www.readsalads.com/

While looking that up I also came across Paisley Farms, which I’ve never seen, plus Jake & Amos?, and Aunt Nellie’s, a brand I’m familiar with for pickled beets. All three of these are jarred.

S&W has never been widely available here; if I ever had it, it was back in the 70s and I don’t remember it so I can’t compare.

BTW Aldi sells a Prince Edward Blend frozen veg mix. Only 3 vegs but includes green and wax beans (+ carrots). I’m sure you don’t have an Aldi there, so…

1 Like

I saw the PF brand and it looked pretty good… but I have yet to find where to purchase less than 6 pounds of it.

2 Likes

Found it at WalMart, but it is canned. Ingredients look ok. How did you like it?

My local Grocery Outlet sells a Polish Salad and a Green Tomato Salad that are very good. The company, Old World Quality Foods, apparently also makes a 4 bean salad that should be worth a try if you can find it. Their website isn’t much help.

This Big Lots page said it was out of stock.

If you live in Santa Monica, CA or nearby, you might want to try Bay Cities four bean salad. They use kidney beans, not pinto beans. I think it’s delicious.

1 Like

Yeah… when I did live in S.M. we’d hit up BC all the time… same for Sorrento’s in Culver City. No surprise both are still there.

1 Like

Love the Paisley Farms, especially the Asian one. I get it via Amazon. Opened jars retain quality in the fridge. I find large jars very useful for storing dry staples like flours so I buy the big ones happily.

Once I finish the salad I slice cukes and onions into the brine, for a few more salad portions.

1 Like

Their Traditional German Salad is also very good.

My local Costco carries the Paisley Farms Four Bean. I like it, but find it just a bit too sweet.

2 Likes

It’s an occasional purchase for a change of pace/no-prep side for a meal. I’m most put off by the strong vinegar punch so it’s not likely to become a favorite. Don’t know how that compares to some of the others that have been mentioned but will be looking for them. ymmv, of course. Same goes for the Read canned German potato salad.

@Midlife - hadn’t thought of it but I’ve purchased several jarred ‘salads’ at the Polish grocery store here, including a ‘Swedish style.’ They’ve all been too sweet for me and the vegs overcooked.

1 Like

Well… if I “could” buy it, I’d definitely go with the Paisley Farm Four Bean Salad. I think it is the only one that uses real onion and peppers (which is important to me). There is a fairly common complaint among reviews that it is too sweet, but my recollection is that the S&W stuff was pretty sweet as well.

Their web site says they are working on re-opening a direct order system… and for those of you near a Costco, it is usually available from Spring to Fall, but I think I am going to have to make my own.

I’m gonna start with a mod of my Chinese Chicken Salad dressing:
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup vinegar
Juice of 1 lemon
2 teaspoons mushroom soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt

Maybe cut back on the soy sauce, add some micro-planed ginger, and possibly change up the vinegar with some apple cider and/or wine (but it’s pretty darned good just with distilled). I am hesitant to use oil as I don’t like the texture of it when refrigerated (plus the Paisley Farm stuff doesn’t use it - nor did the S&W IIRC). Maybe just drizzle in a little when served if need be.

Once the above is balanced, throw it in the blender with some roasted garlic/red pepper, some raw white or red onion, and maybe a pinch of Italian parsley or cilantro. Pulse a couple of times using the tamper until the onions are finely chopped, and serve over a can each of sliced green beans, wax beans, kidney beans, and maybe some soaked/cooked chickpeas, and cover and refrigerate for several hours.

Any and all suggestions welcomed… but I am most curious about how long this will keep covered in the fridge? This is gonna make the better part of two quarts or more.

Given your ingredients, it should last a good long time.

Maybe a little verjus?

1 Like

Don’t have any on hand. There will be plenty of sweet/sour so maybe just a splash of RW vinegar added to the base?

1 Like

So after a few days of experimentation… the secrets here are KISS and Moisture Control:

KISS: I originally used garlic and ginger in the base, and while it tasted great after being thoroughly mixed together, after several hours in the fridge it clouded the tart/sweet/tangy flavor I was looking for.

Moisture Control: The drained beans still contain a lot of water. Remove as much as you can using a salad spinner and/or paper towels.

The following recipe makes a lot… and quite a few comments online say it doesn’t keep for more than a few days, but that it freezes well. I have frozen a couple of portions and will report back as to how good it is when thawed.

Enjoy!

Juice of 1 lemon
3/4 cup vinegar 150gm
1/2 cup sugar 105gm
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon kosher salt

In a large glass bowl add:
15oz can of cut green beans (or similar amount of fresh cooked in salted water), drained, dried
15oz can of cut wax beans (or similar amount of fresh cooked in salted water), drained, dried
15oz can of kidney beans, drained, rinsed, dried
1/4 medium white/red onion finely sliced or chopped
1/3 roasted red pepper finely chopped

Gently mix well. Cover and refrigerate for several hours.
Garnish with julienned pickled beets and fresh parsley.

6 Likes

Update: These did freeze really well in a tupperware-like container! Taste of dressing and beans is identical, although the texture of the canned green and wax beans is a bit softer. If you fresh cook your green and wax beans for a bit firmer bean, thawed from frozen will be perfection.

I’m hooked… this will be a mainstay salad over the Summer.

5 Likes

It never occurred to me to freeze it. I like making it but it is hard not to make too much especially when I want a good variety of beans. I am usually making it to use up fresh green beans. Thanks for the suggestion.

For flavoring, I like tarragon in mine.

3 Likes