January–April 2024 Baking Cookbook of the Months :SNACKING BAKES by Yossy Arefi

8T fat on its own isn’t a lot, but adding a cup of full fat sour cream to that doubles the richness (not the exact math but you get what I mean).

ETA: It’s about 50% more fat.

1 Like

Yeah, I frequently swap Greek yogurt (full fat has a lower percentage than SC) or use Daisy “light” sour cream if that’s what I have around, whatever milk I have on hand, etc., so that lowers the fat content without sacrificing moistness, crumb, or shelf life, all of which are good in my experience. I’m more likely to swap added dairy, sometime for convenience and sometimes for preference, than reduce butter or oil, at least in the Snacking Cakes recipes. There are also a fair number in that book that use buttermilk.

Agree, I always have yogurt, so it’s a frequent swap for me too. Just thinking about the recipes as written, though.

APPLE SPICE COFFEE CAKE , this is the pear version with cardamom. I’ve been thinking about how to describe this cake bearing in mind my mother’s admonition of “ if you can’t say anything nice”, well the nicest thing I can say about this cake is boring. If you need to use up a 1/2 cup applesauce/ pear, perhaps this would fit your needs. The cake rises to a little over an inch, is moist and tender but there are so many more interesting simple coffee cakes out there! https://www.burlapandbarrel.com/blogs/recipes/spiced-applesauce-crumb-cake?_pos=3&_sid=bba70c983&_ss=r

9 Likes

Pretty photo though.

6 Likes

Thank you, Aubergine. I think her editor might have wanted her to include one more cake. The nut butter cake is so much more pleasing.

2 Likes

MAZURKAS a/k/a jam bars. Redemption is at hand with these bars/cookies. These are quite nice albeit quite sweet. I used homemade dried apricot jam and homemade raspberry, the raspberry had 40% sugar. The 6” pan took 35/40 minutes to bake at 325*. If you like a sweet treat, with a hint of coconut, these fit the bill. In addition to the coconut, oatmeal and finely chopped nuts contribute to the crumble.

![IMG_5535|700x505](upload://eiAZGAO9CeQh4X14SQRbs5UIB2W.jpe
g)
https://www.southernliving.com/raspberry-
mazurkas-8391857
Link not working but if you go to Southern Living, you should be able to turn up recipe for raspberry mazurkas.

13 Likes

They look lovely! I had these next on my list to try, but now I’m not sure I want something very sweet and jammy.

Thinking of the Super Chocolate Brownie Cookies now, but they have 1 egg in a full recipe (18 cookies) and I only want to make half (or maybe even a quarter, since cookies sitting around will eventually be consumed :laughing:), so I’m wondering if I should just sub a bit of yogurt for the egg and call it a day

Working link for the Mazurkas: https://www.southernliving.com/raspberry-mazurkas-8391857

1 Like

Well even with barely any sugar in the dried apricot jam, I would say these are pretty sweet. The 6” size is more than enough😁.
Thanks for fixing the link, I had thought it was previously listed but then realized it had not been.
Do you have a link for the Super Brownie Cookies? I don’t recall seeing a link for the cookies but I could have missed it.
If you make half, I’d go with the half egg 1/4 I’d go with the yogurt or some aquafaba if you happen to have some hanging around.

1 Like

Your link text was fine, but the hyperlink cut off somewhere in the middle which caused the issue.

I found the page for the cookies here.

The other contender is the chocolate chip cookie bars, but mig’s review wasn’t encouraging.

1 Like

Another recipe from “Snackable Bakes”.

1 Like

SUPER CHOCOLATE BROWNIE COOKIES

I guess this is a brownie recipe with less eggs and more flour.

I made 1/4 recipe, so I decided to skip the egg and use a little bit of whole milk greek yogurt instead. Also used brown butter because I have a bottle full at the moment, and it’s good in brownies.

My dough was more of a thick batter (I’ll be curious to see if those who use the egg have a proper dough) so I added more flour and cocoa till it seemed to hold together, though it still wasn’t really a “dough”.

Well, after that this came almost a disaster. The cookies splatted as soon as they went in the oven. Then I tried to pull them out, and they (ie the splatted batter) almost slid off the silpat. Lucky save, then I pushed them back into cookie shape, waited a few minutes, and put them back in the oven.

When they came out, the edges were a bit overdone, and I was expecting pretty much nothing anymore.

BUT: they are actually very tasty, and the texture is pretty good (soft-chewy with a bit of crisp). But SWEET. I got 8 medium/small (3-3.5") cookies in the end.

SO. I don’t know what to say about this, because obviously the end proportions of flour and cocoa are not per the recipe at all. :woman_shrugging:t2:

6 Likes

They look delicious, but yikes on how off the proportions are.

2 Likes

Do you think using the egg would have made and difference ? We need a cookie maven :joy: to look at the recipe but there’s just so much sugar you can remove!

PEANUT BUTTER and JAM CAKE….not really!
Hazelnut and chocolate is a winner, tender, soft crumbed and just plain delicious. I made some hazelnut butter for the cake along with using a dark chocolate spread. This was 65% in a 6x2” square and will definitely repeat, it is as wonderful as the pistachio version. We had it just slightly warm with an espresso. It needs no other accompaniment although crème fraîche did come to mind. Recommend highly.

10 Likes

Peanut butter in a cake is not my jam (apologies for the bad pun), but your chocolate and hazelnut version looks and sounds delicious.

4 Likes

Mine either! This is really delightful, I put a layer of finely chopped hazelnuts in the middle for a little crunch and used hazelnut oil instead of butter. It bakes up a lovely golden brown with a fine , thin crust.

2 Likes

Good call on the hazelnut oil. I have made that swap, in whole or in part (hazelnut oil and brown butter work especially well together).

1 Like

Yum, that sounds delish…next time!

1 Like

CHOCOLATE RICOTTA CAKE (p. 143)

I was looking forward to this SO much. But I didn’t like it. First of all it turns out that I don’t love the combination of chocolate and cardamom. I felt like the cardamom overwhelmed the chocolate, especially the first day. It was somewhat better the second, but still, not a combination I want to repeat. My oven usually bakes things more slowly than recipes call for. But I put this in for the lowest amount (45 minutes) and made sure the oven thermometer had the right temp. But it came out a little tough and overbaked, dense. Lulu and LLD liked it, but I was completely bummed. I frosted it with my own version of chocolate cream cheese icing. That helped a little but not enough.

8 Likes