January–April 2024 Baking Cookbook of the Months :SNACKING BAKES by Yossy Arefi

I’m doing this from memory - at work - but I think it was 75g (3/4 cup) of powdered sugar, 1T of rum, 1T of melted butter (14g), pinch of cinnamon, pinch of fine sea salt

You two love to bake sweets, bake a lot.

Shelly bean has her own slot as well as Nanny Bakes.

sallyt has her own slot in my mind, too.

Miss Toronto Jo

3 Likes

It was a big hit: the cake disappeared very quickly! Several people had 2 pieces: they liked that it was simple and not too sweet…

4 Likes

Also on my list! Glad it worked without rum…

2 Likes

It disappeared! Delicious.

5 Likes

Best intentions and bungling reported on the baking thread.

TLDR: I planned to make a cross between the loaded chocolate chip cookie bars and the molasses bars, but ended up with something resembling the snickerdoodle cake.

It was delicious. Gave half to the friend I baked it for, then realized I’d just eat through the rest, so quickly shared the other half with another friend. All gone now.

One of these days I will follow a recipe properly.

7 Likes

GINGER CHERRY OATIES

I made this recipe almost as written. I reduced the granulated sugar by half (all of 25g/2 T), and instead of 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon cloves, I used 1/2 teaspoon each cinnamon and cardamom and 1/4 teaspoon allspice. I used tart dried cherries plumped in hot water. The dough has a cookie dough consistency when going into the pan, then rises a good bit in the oven and falls as it cools, leaving raised edges as seen in the photo in the link (I trimmed the edges off before slicing the bars). These baked in 25 minutes.

Upon cooling, these did not cut very neatly, and they were also unexpectedly soft and cakey - more cake than cookie bar – so I didn’t see what the oats were contributing. They also weren’t notably gingery, more like a spice cake than one with prominent ginger notes. (I may have inadvertently gone a little heavy on the allspice, but it’s not as prominent a flavor as cloves.) After a night on the counter in an airtight container, however, the crumb had tightened and they had become pleasingly soft and chewy. The oats made sense as a textural contrast that wasn’t present the first day. As with most things where spices are prominent the flavors had melded with sitting, though the ginger notes hadn’t deepened any. I enjoyed them quite a bit as a spice bar and described them that way to others, who all liked them a lot.

If I were to make these again, I’d let them sit overnight before slicing. And if I decided I wanted something particularly gingery, I’d up the amount of dried ginger to a tablespoon and perhaps add some minced candied ginger as suggested in the headnote. All in all, these were a success, with a little mellowing time.

11 Likes

Nice save, and impressive pivot in such a short time frame.

1 Like

I’ve taken to using my oxo flexible spatula to slice into brownies and similar things for neat cuts — it’s really skinny and has a sharp, flat edge that goes straight in.

3 Likes

In this case, the difference in texture between merely cooled and aged overnight made all the difference in how they cut.

2 Likes

THICK & CHEWY BUTTERSCOTCH OATMEAL COOKIES (p 39)

This is a variation of the main cookie, and I varied it farther by adding walnuts. She calls for replacing the cup of raisins with a cup of butterscotch chips. I was in the mood for something sweet, but that seemed like it might be excessive. I made the right decision for me, and used slightly over 1/2 cup of the chips, and about a half cup of the walnuts. Loved the nuts here! Still very very sweet, but delicious. Very easy - I wasn’t feeling great, and needed to self-medicate

with a baked good, and this was easy enough that I didn’t have a problem (erm, except it is entirely possible that I forgot to add the vanilla; I’m really not sure). I don’t care for nutmeg, so only threw in a pinch, and halved the cinnamon. Not sad about either of those decisions.

10 Likes

Coming back to say I’m loving these, but my God, do NOT make them with a full cup. They’re on the edge of too sweet with the half cup of butterscotch chips.

4 Likes

Monster Cookies page 40
I had some minature candy bars in my freezer so made these cookies. There is peanut butter in the recipe. I had to check the recipe twice(am i missing the flour) nope no flour involved just oatmeal. Cookies have to cool completely on tray because they come out soft. This cookie is crisp an sweet but then ive never made a cookie that my DH didnt love. They didnt spread too much. I used a #40 disher and got 31.

7 Likes

I made these too, and they are lovely!

I didn’t quite follow all of the directions: she has a trick ( that Jessie Sheehan does as well I think?) of only melting half the butter and stirring in the rest so that the dough is cool enough to scoop. I melted it all, and then let the dough sit in the fridge for a few hours while I ran errands. Still good! Would like to try the variation with freeze dried fruit…

8 Likes

Made these last night for our team meeting today: a team member is leaving ( he is a mat leave cover, and she is back next week). I asked him what his favourite flavour is, and he said chocolate. While Nigella’s brownies from How to be a Domestic Goddess remain my number one, this is my new second fave ( and much easier and cheaper to make!). I chopped up most of a Lindt Dark Chocolate bar with Sea Salt as the chocolate chips, and they worked really well. They got devoured at work, and a colleague asked if she could get the recipe. Will definitely make again!!

10 Likes

They look good. We loved them

1 Like

@rstuart - the cocoa brownies, right? How long did you bake for? Thanks!

Took it out right at 25 minutes: perfect.

2 Likes

Chocolate Chip Crisp Cookies page 54
These cookies have are crisp because crispy rice cereal is added. The rice cereal almost tastes like toffee bits. I used 80 grms of both white and brown sugar thats 40 grms less total sugar. A #40 disher gave me 30 cookies bakedfor 10 minutes. Nice twist to a ccc.

11 Likes

This book is currently on sale for $2.99 in ebook form on amazon.

2 Likes