January 2024 Cookbook of the Month Nominations

Hard to believe we’re speeding into a new year, but it’s time to nominate books for January’s COTM. What books strike your fancy for the chilly season?

HOW TO NOMINATE: Please type the name of the book (or website) you are nominating in ALL CAPS for easy recognition. (If you’re discussing, rather than nominating, a title please use standard capitalization to avoid confusion.) You may nominate as many books as you like. Please nominate with the intention to cook from and report on your recipe experiences should your nominee be selected.

NOMINATIONS WILL CLOSE on MONDAY, DECEMBER 18 at GMT/7 PM EST/4 PM PST.

To see all our previous books, check out the COTM Archive. You can keep adding to those threads in perpetuity. And there’s still plenty of time this month to cook from the December 2023 COTM, Carmine’s Family-Style Cookbook.

2 Likes

GRAINS FOR EVERY SEASON by Joshua McFadden
FLOUR TOO by Joanne Chang

I made some really delicious mushroom farrotto from Grains for Every Season last week and would like to explore it more. Flour Too has some good soups and salads and January ia always a big soup month for me.

1 Like

ETHIOPIA Wat sounds good to me for a cold month.

BLACK FOOD I’d love to delve into this book. Lots of interesting recipes.

RUKMINI IYER month, hope springs eternal.

A soup/stew book would be wonderful if anyone has a suggestion.

Did we do FROM THE OVEN TO THE TABLE?

I don’t think we have done FROM THE OVEN TO THE TABLE

1 Like

SABRINA GHAYOUR month.

I’ll second…
SABRINA GHAYOUR MONTH
ETHIOPIA
BLACK FOOD.

And I’ll nominate TENDERHEART, yet again. It made the NYT list of best cookbooks of the year, and many other lists as well. It’s a great book.

And while perusing the best-of-2023 lists, it came to my attention that the James Beard Award-winning chef Steven Satterfield put out a new book back in April, VEGETABLE REVELATIONS. It is “produce-forward,” per its subtitle, but by no means a vegetarian book.

I’d still like to cook from Nik Sharma’s VEG-TABLE (also not a vegetarian book).

Two Africa-inspired books that came out this year and I’d like to consider: MY EVERYDAY LAGOS, by NYT writer Yewande Komolafe, and Pierre Thiam’s SIMPLY WEST AFRICAN.

Let’s add MEZCLA to the list.

I’m away from my kitchen most of Jan, so while I’d up for Ethiopia, Rukmini Iyer, and Sabrina Ghayour, I’ll wait to nominate them next month if they don’t win.

(From the Oven was a finalist exactly a year ago.)

A little under two days remaining to nominate, and right now nominations are all over the place, with a lot of titles and nothing with more than two nominations.

I will second VEGETABLE REVELATIONS and VEG-TABLE

VEGETABLE REVELATIONS. I got in from the library and considered purchasing it. I would enjoy cooking from it.

VEGETABLE REVELATIONS, was able to download ebook from my library!

I could cook along with most of the nominations, and hopefully also catch up with Carmine’s in January.
VEG-TABLE
FROM THE OVEN TO THE TABLE
SABRINA GHAYOUR
MEZCLA
GRAINS FOR EVERY SEASON
BLACK FOOD

START HERE - Sohla El -Waylly (beautiful very useful book)

Two other nominees I would make are

Korean Vegan (Joanne Molinaro)
A Very Chinese Cookbook (ATK)

Sohn-Mat - Great soups and stews (Korean) - new book.

If you are nominating these books, you need to put the titles in all caps.

Sorry

SOHN MAT
KOREAN VEGAN
A VERY CHINESE COOKBOOK

I second GRAINS FOR EVERY SEASON and FLOUR TOO