James on Main - Hackettstown, NJ

1 Like

Wow, happy retirement! We are giving this place another chance, so going there this Wed. If you read this before then, what would you recommend? We are only going to do the 2-course meal. Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you! We are going again this Saturday and to The Circle on Sunday.
For the first course I would recommend the mushroom panzanella salad or prosciutto San Danielle, and possibly the burrata (I haven’t tried that prep yet). I would also suggest you get the hand cut fries which are $10 extra but worth it. For the main course the tile fish was very good, the roasted duck breast, or the shrimp. Let them know if you want any crispy skin on anything :slightly_smiling_face:

Have you been to the Farmer’s Daughter yet? It’s excellent and highly recommended. They also have a store next door where you can get some gourmet foods.

I hope you enjoy your meal this time! Tell them Eli sent you :slightly_smiling_face:

When I said to my husband that I want to eat there again, he said “why? It’s not even good”. I said I just want to try it again since we’ll be in the area anyway for a car appt, so we’re not going too much out of our way. Yeah, hopefully we’ll like it this time.

Btw is the first pic the duck breast? It doesn’t match the description on the site, so maybe they chgd the menu already. Is the 5th pic the foie gras? Was that worth the supplement? And the 6th pic is the mushroom app?

I have not been to the Farmer’s Daughter / market yet. Maybe when we go to the Circle again we’ll stop by there, since it’s pretty far. They must know you by now at the Circle, just like at JOM :grinning:.

1 Like

Yes, the first and second pictures are of the duck breast. It looks like they changed the accompaniments to whatever fresh vegetables they had on hand. It was still very good.
The 5th picture was the foie gras and was comped to me because I had actually ordered a short rib special that was a little too tough, so I changed my order to the duck. They apologized profusely and comped me the foie gras. It was very good but I can’t say if it is worth the upcharge. The hand cut fries are definitely worth the extra $10.
Just make sure that if you don’t like the way anything is prepared please let them know right away and they will gladly change it for you. They want their customers to be happy and are very accommodating.
The 6th picture is the mushroom panzanella.
They know us a little at the Circle. Michelle is our favorite server. The Chefs aren’t too customer friendly like they are at JOM.
The Farmer’s Daughter is only about 1/2 hour away from JOM and about 10 minutes from The Circle.
Enjoy! I’m looking forward to your review!

Good to know that they are willing to replace something we might not like. Hopefully we’ll like everything :grinning:

1 Like

Well, we enjoyed the dishes better this time. The only thing is, I thought some of the dishes were a little salty. The mushroom panzanella was probably the best dish of the night (ty for recommending), except for the salt level. The duck confit and halibut were good, but the skin on both were salty (the fish itself was perfectly seasoned). My husband got the duck breast, which was ok. We got the fries like you suggested, which were tasty, but I had better truffle fries before that made me say ‘wow!’. Maybe my expectations were too high because you like the place so much LOL. Since I still have a lot of restaurants that I want to try, it might be a while before I come back here. I took some pictures but not as amazing as yours. Enjoy your dinner today and tomorrow!

4 Likes

Nice pictures! I’m glad that you enjoyed your meal a little better this time. You have to think of this restaurant as a friendly neighborhood restaurant, and not as a gourmet restaurant. I would consider The Circle more on the gourmet side.
My wife and I like our food more seasoned and actually add more pepper and salt sometimes. We even add sriracha powder to the fries.
You should try the Farmer’s Daughter when you get a chance. I think you will like it.

1 Like

What I find interesting is just how many words in that description would be totally unrecognizable by my mother.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Happy birthday :balloon::balloon:

2 Likes

Thank you :blush:

1 Like