I've got a lot of kumquats!

Given to husband today. From what I’ve read, it’s a bit late. The one I tried did not have the “sweet” skin described. I haven’t eaten one in years, and I’ve never cooked with them. I’m thinking candied or marmalade, but wonder if I am missing anything.

Any suggestions?

If they’re not sweet, candied is probably the way to go. I have had some sitting in white rum; I kind of forgot about them, but the friend who inspired me to do it said thetimd wouldn’t hurt, and recommends kumquat mojitos.

2 Likes

Cocktail garnish

Addition to lemonade

1 Like

Thank you @CaitlinM and @chienrouge !

Marmalade, at least for part of them. Wondering if you could pickle them for drink garnishes or ??? Chutney, perhaps?

1 Like

Great idea! I just found this one on Eat Your Books!
Full recipe is also available online.

“Serves 8-10”. Not sure what that means in terms of volume.

And

Also

2 Likes

I’m making Padma’s chutney, bought curry leaves, and Kaffir/Makrut leaves, and am wondering if can preserve some.

Such great colors!

2 Likes

Juice

2 Likes

Thank you @ipsedixit

The spicy tangy sticky kumquat chutney recipe seems to have a lot more sugar than Padma’s. Trying to make sense of that.

Here’s another. This one includes onion and vinegar.

Do you mean preserve the chutney? Fruit chutneys with high-acid fruits and/or vinegar can be water-bath canned.

1 Like

Oh!
When I wrote “trying to preserve some”, I meant trying to preserve some curry and makrut leaves, but preserving the chutney is even better.

If it turns out to be more chutney than I will use in a few weeks, I would love to preserve it. .

Preserving as gifts for holidays is always amazing, except when I’m doing it. :pleading_face:

I’d guess the ‘spicy sticky’ recipe uses more sugar to tame the 1.25 cups of vinegar but will still be much sweeter and closer to marmalade. Padma’s recipe will have a lower yield due to less sugar syrup. Off the top of my head i’d guess 2 lbs of kumquats would make +/- 1 quart of compote or chutney or whatever, depending on how much sugar and liquids are added.

I used to do 3 cups of sugar to 2 lbs of kumquats for dessert applications.

1 Like

Thank you! That makes so much sense!

1 Like

I like them sliced razor thin with green olives, turmeric, coriander, and white wine on thinly pounded or sliced chicken. Serve it with couscous.

2 Likes

Padma’s chutney is a bit “extra” ( a little sharp, maybe bitter). but I’m assuming it will mellow.

Does chutney mellow? If so, why?

1 Like

Yes. It just does lol. I’ve read many recipes stating to store preserved chutneys for a month before using. I think the flavors marry, and then settle into their new lives. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Thank you @Lambchop ! That’s what counts.

No comments about “mellowing”, but I found this interesting.

1 Like

I’m sure you know this already, but chutney needs a longer processing time in the water bath than jam, for instance. This is due to inclusion of non acidic ingredients, such as onions, garlic, chiles, etc. They should be processed for 20 -25 minutes IIRC. Padma’s chutney looks really good to me, but will peruse the others too. No bonus kumquats around here though. :sob:

I did not! Thank you. I will be sure to keep it refrigerated.

With the kumquats husband got grapefruits, blood oranges, and some other orange, so I’ll make more “three citrus preserve” or similar, which we have really enjoyed. I’ll be sure to check out the processing time.

1 Like

If you keep the chutney in the fridge, there’s no need for the water bath.

2 Likes