I've got a lot of kumquats!

Oh, the curry and makrut leaves, you can freeze! I just pop them into double-layered freezer bags, then pull out what I need for cooking, no need to defrost.

2 Likes

Nice post here, I’ve got a veritable boat load of kumquats right now.

Chutney and marmalade and such wouldn’t really be used in my home by most folks…is there any recipe or way to use these in muffins, cookies or something easy to bake that’s good? Maybe not. It’s a challenging fruit for me and gotta say i do prefer loquats for just simple eating. But i need to find a solution besides cocktail garnish!

1 Like

Candied, eaten with ice cream and Grand Marnier.

1 Like

Annual revival of this thread. Since I won’t be enjoying So Cal farmers market kumquats this winter, I ordered some that will be arriving soon. Aside from popping directly into my mouth, any new ideas?

The chutney that Shrinkrap made earlier in this thread looks very enticing. Any further feedback on that? I do love a nice spicy chutney.

1 Like

Weird.
Indian style Pickles are usually allowed to “cure”(hang out) for a while before using but I have never heard of doing so with Chutney.

Oh, just saw this was resurrected from a year ago :thinking:

We have a citrus “glut” in California yards every year around now. Not that there’s anything wrong with that! :grinning:

I don’t think the advice about a chutney maturing has changed. I have not been able to find an explanation, but here

it says

“The cardinal rule: Unless a recipe says otherwise, never eat chutneys or pickles until they have matured and mellowed – you need to store them for at least three months before eating. Freshly made, they taste harsh and vinegary –”

I believe hers is an “English” perspective, so who knows what that means. :person_shrugging:t5:

This one suggests the presence of vinegar was an influence of the British.

I call Bullshit on Delia.
Age a Coconut Chutney for even a day and you will have savory Toddy.
Cooked Fruit Chutneys are just like Jams , they do not get better with age.

1 Like

That sounds interesting! I’ve never had a coconut chutney! Probably because I am always looking for ways to procrastinate and things that keep.

Most of the Chutneys that I am familiar with from South India are made and eaten fresh.
Coconut, Mint, Cilantro, Peanut, Tomato, Tamarind Etc… Pickles on the other hand are almost always aged and made from almost anything Mango, Lime, Eggplant, Prawn, Chili, Bitter Gourd or Garlic just to name a few.

2 Likes

Those sound delicious! Husband loves tamarind balls.

I have some tamarind paste I made from pods for a different recipe. Does this recipe sound right?

What the British call chutney and what Indian chutney actually is are completely different things

Important to distinguish which one is talking about :joy:

Do you have dates? They will give you a rounder flavor. Try this (the dry spices are optional btw). It freezes well too (but usually not solid).

https://www.tarladalal.com/sweet-chutney-quick-sweet-chutney-395r

2 Likes

I do! For a salad recipe. I bought “Deglet Noor” after googling my choices in the grocery store. I wonder if medjool might be better for this. DIL might have a few of those squirreled away.

Of course, I have no idea how I would use this, ad I don’t prefer many sweet things. I think that was a concern with the kumquat chutney as well. I do remember liking it on grilled cheese.

Noor are fine, just soak them in hot water first.

My use for any sweet/sour chutney is with samosas or for chaat, so if you can’t think of where you’d use it I wouldn’t make a lot.

If you like chickpeas or other stewed beans, it makes a good condiment for them.

Grilled cheese, sandwich, or quesadilla, sure – not my thing, but then all the applications of fruit chutney are usually not my thing :joy:

1 Like

This recipe is almost identical to what I make except for seasoning.
I do not use Black Salt or Ginger and do use Roasted Senf/Fennel Powder, Cayenne, Cumin and a bit of Lemon at the end.

At a restaurant I was once given preserved kumquats as a garnish on a main course, and really enjoyed them. Dessert was uninspiring, so I asked for some kumquats on vanilla ice cream, with Grand Marnier drizzled over; great dessert!

You could preserve your kumquats.

2 Likes

nytimes kumquat panna-cotta gift link

It’s really panna cotta with a kumquat sauce.