Is short-grain rice always somewhat sticky?

Calrose is California-grown sushi rice, so yes.

If you want non-sticky rice I’d go with a different variety (jasmine for eg)

1 Like

Usually spicy tuna mayo, pickled daikon always (it’s not true danmuji because I pickle in a vinegar solution, but even if I could buy it here I like this better than commercial danmuji because I hate the taste of the aspartame used for it), carrots, Persian cucumber, imitation crab, sometimes lettuce, sometimes egg or avocado, spinach. On occasions I can’t find daikon, I like to make pickled beets instead. I julienne it and pickled raw.
If I do spam, I always have the egg in there. I’ve used Dominican salami in place of spam a couple of times.
Shrimp tempura, spicy pork bulgogi, and karaage have also made it on occasion.

2 Likes

I’ve only made it a couple of times, I think when Koreatown and Maangchi were COTM over on CH, and I really enjoyed it.

Thanks for the ideas!

A silly question — given the larger diameter of gimbap, is etiquette still to put a whole piece in the mouth at a go?

1 Like

It’s kind of hard to eat if you don’t just pop a whole piece in your mouth. But if you make the folded version you can eat it like a sandwich.

The spicy tuna mayo is usually everyone’s favorite, so I make that one most often.

1 Like

Haha, I wondered this, too. We have a restaurant minutes from us that specializes in kimbap. (It’s our favorite local restaurant by far.) I’ve only ever seen Korean patrons eat a whole piece in one go. After many visits, I gave up and joined them.

1 Like

I could have sworn this was a topic about the stickiness of Calrose rice.

I thought I gave a fairly comprehensive answer on that (along with all the other responses you got addressing your questions) before also linking to a kimbap recipe in case you wanted something to make with it because it’s the type of rice you buy specifically for its creaminess and chew:

If you cook the rice at a 1:1 ratio, it is chewy and sticky in comparison to long grain rice, but it’s not wet by any means. Even Dominicans who like very separate, fluffy rice and abhor what basically translates as “pasty” rice love it when my mom cooks it just as she would regular long grain rice to make coconut rice. If you don’t want to make kimbap, sushi, or eat it steamed with Asian dishes, then risotto, arroz con pollo, paella, rice pudding, rice porridge, and fried rice are all good options.

I did appreciate your input on cooking rice. Thank you sincerely.

I’ve never heard of kimbap. One of the few things I find disconcerting about these forums is how the topics can sometimes make wide detours and go completely off course. In another post I made today, someone expressed the view that boards like HO are losing audience because people seem to prefer direct answers and are turned off by the need to read past info that isn’t relevant to find their answers. They said Reddit and Yelp just let you go directly to what you need. I absolutely prefer real narrative material, like HO …… except when it’s taken off-topic for no reason that seems apparent. But, then, maybe I’m just having a bad day.

1 Like

Not an answer to your question, but Uncle Ben’s ( now Ben’s Original ), is also “converted” or parboiled, which I think also adds to its drier texture.

ETA Oops! I should have read the last post! :grimacing:

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

MOD SPEAKING HERE.

Discussions of short-grain rice is reserved for this topic.

Discussions on topics like forums pros or cons etc, please continue on @midlife’s thread here:

Thanks.
naf

I don’t disagree. I’ll try to stay on topic, but changing habits is hard. If you can try to guide me again in the future, it would help. Thanks.