Interesting use of sage?

I’ve just pruned my sage bush today, I’ll freeze half of the cut leaves, but still have a lot of them. Any usage suggestions? Recipes? Thanks!

1 Like

Include a generous amount of chopped sage in a cream sauce for pasta. A little prosciutto? Other green stuff such as asparagus?

1 Like

I seldom use sage in a creamy sauce, why not? I’m more familiar with tarragon with cream and bacon or prosciutto. Sage usually ends up marinating pork or me.

1 Like

I just made my first sage tea. Interesting, I didn’t add any sugar but there is a tint of sweetness, rather refreshing. It’s quite different from what I feel when I use it in cooking.

2 Likes

fry the leaves in olive oil and sprinkle with salt for a snack

7 Likes

Try a broth. I had a sensational broth in a seafood dish at L’Ebauchoir in Paris. The broth was infused with basil, rosemary, and sage, and the sage made it a home run. See https://johntannersbbqblog.wordpress.com/2019/06/26/lebauchoir-paris-france/

1 Like

Sage oil
Sage compound butter
Sage vinegar
Sage salt

2 Likes

Interesting! Unusual to see sage with seafood.

1 Like

Indeed! I was very surprised, but it really worked.

Brown thick cut bone in pork chops. Top with sage, thinly sliced apple, crumbled cooked bacon and blue cheese. A little white wine in there and bake until pork is done to your liking. Personally, sage doesn’t sit too well with me any more so I put most of the leaves on his.:slightly_smiling_face:

And then there’s always, sauté hot Italian sausage, take out and drain the grease. Brown butter with sage. Add sausage back in along with plenty of half and half and boiled vacuum packed gnocchi. Simmer and dinner is done.

4 Likes

I love sage in scrambled eggs - just sauté some chopped leaves in butter or bacon fat and then add eggs as usual.

1 Like

Thanks for all of these! I have severe fear of sage due to its hammer-blow use in breakfast sausage. These ideas sound astounding…both subtle and bright.

@Naf,

Commonly used in Liguria on foccacia, instead of rosemary herb.

Also used with roast turkey stuffing from the recipes I have read.

4 Likes

Fresh leaves crispy fried in butter, then added as layer inside grilled cheese sandwich. There’s a recipe in the Zuni Cafe Cookbook, it’s really wonderful.

Sage with butternut or similar winter squash is nice, either in soup or as part of a pan roast - sage, squash, hot Italian sausage & pasta together is /chefskiss

5 Likes

“Pork Ragout with Brown Beans” A tomato based pork stew with beans and sage, from Pork & Sons book. I make this once or twice a year. It calls for a few spoons of lard, which I don’t usually have so I can tell you it’s fine to use a little olive oil instead.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Cheese, especially soft rind goes well with fresh sage…and, my new found enjoyment for olive oil cakes landed me here

3 Likes

For next time, ice cream. My answer is always ice cream.

1 Like

I miss @Rooster

1 Like

a pastry chef friend made this cake with goat cheese buttercream and candied sage, among other elements - I would love to try all of these flavors together!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPLey6KNAXj/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

5 Likes