Ingredients that caused revelations

Actually that’s where I learned about it. I’ve never made “waffles” so bought a super cheap and small one. Target maybe?

1 Like

Gah, i may cave…! Although storage in my tiny nyc kitchen may be interesting

Until you said “white inside”, I was thinking you were talking about what’s called satsuma-imo in Japanese. It’s yellow and has a wonderful taste, and it’s less sweet than the sweet potatoes that are more common in the U.S. (whether those are orange or yellow). I love those, too. Sadly, these are foods I’m not eating much at all on a keto diet, but I don’t love them less.

2 Likes

Are sweet potatoes potatoes? I don’t think so. They’re both tubers, though. In Malay, all tubers are ubi. Potatoes are ubi kentang, sweet potatoes are ubi kelidik, purple yams are ubi keladi, cassava is ubi kayu.

3 Likes

I’ve discovered Red Pepper Flakes here, late in life.

Added a pinch (or two) to a Cabbage Soup I made Saturday. Had a very pleasant back of tongue heat while eating the soup. Out of the refrigerator for Sunday supper, that sensation move to the front of my tongue, and hit a bit harder. Fun eating.

4 Likes

For those that love truffles or mushrooms I highly recommend Sabatino Tartufi Truffle Zest Seasoning. The smell is intoxicating. This is a great way to get the flavor of truffles into your food without an overpowering truffle oil. It’s a fine powder used as a finishing ingredient. It is even one of Oprah’s favorite things :grinning: A little bit goes a long way, and it really adds that extra umami to your eggs, pasta, pizza, vegetables, or almost anything you would add mushrooms or truffles to.

https://www.amazon.com/Sabatino-Tartufi-Truffle-Seasoning-Ounce/dp/B01FDFL2RQ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=truffle%2Bessence&qid=1551658739&s=grocery&sr=1-1&th=1

4 Likes

Saffron … it’s taste and aroma to this day one of my best childhood body memories

2 Likes

Saffron added to homemade rice pudding is a real game changer. All you need are a few strands.

2 Likes

I’m sure … I’ve eaten and liked saffron ice cream, I’m not a lover of rice pudding in general.

More foe me, ha! I also enjoy saffron ice cream from a localish Indian grocer.

1 Like

Local Persian restaurant for me

1 Like

Leek greens, after years of home cooking and throwing out the dark green leaves, I “discovered” that leek greens are a fabulous veg all on their own. Stir fry, sautes, soups and stews all benefit from an ingredient I was throwing away!

6 Likes

Will try it , though carob powder being the first ingredient is a bit of a doozie. I use truffle salt (10% ) for finishing, like it better than the alternatives.

1 Like

Let me know how you like it. The smell alone is intoxicating.

Having just used lemongrass in a dish it’s fresh on my mind of an ingredient that caused revelations. It’s quite hard to describe the flavor. I think of it as a floral, perfumed lemon essence

5 Likes

Try this if you do Vietnamese/Thai fish sauce:

• Process lemongrass finely (not powdery)
  • Put processed lemongrass, chilli flakes, some fish sauce, some sugar in a bowl.
  • Chuck in chicken wings/strips/thighs/legs etc and mix well.
  • Let marinate overnight.

I use chicken wings. Very nice barbequed or grilled. I also rub the wings with some sherry or white wine. This way the marinade sticks better.

The breast meat can be either in strips or chunks. Thread them on skewers to bbq. I thread the wings using 2 skewers. Easer to turn a bunch of wings at the same time.

Don’t forget wedges of lime or lemon on the side.

1 Like

Moosh into a paste. Put in very small saucepan with like quantity of creme fraiche or sour cream. Bring to simmer… Turn off heat and wisk in cold butter. As much as it will hold. Maybe 4 times volume of lemon and cream combined.

Serve with asparagus, broccoli, etc, fish, scallops…any place you would use beurre blanc or hollandaise.

7 Likes

@Scubadoo97 - that is the most perfect description of lemongrass I’ve ever heard! Would also be perfect for kaffir lime leaves, just swapping the words lemon to lime.

Anyway, kaffir lime leaves were a revelation for me, as well as additionally toasted nuts for baked goods and salads. I also love half and half mashed potatoes and cauliflower - equal amounts of each. They’re amazing. Almost too many things to name but I pretoast coconut as well for baking projects.

2 Likes

@Presunto - you are talking about fresh lemongrass, correct? You put it in your food processor to break it down?

Also thanks for the tip on skewering the chicken wings for the grill. Used that technique for asparagus but it didn’t work very well. I’m sure it’s perfect for meat, shrimp and scallops however.

We just had the most amazing steamed mussels at this Thai restaurant over the weekend with lemongrass, lime, basil, and other spices. The lemongrass brought it over the top. You described the flavor perfectly (floral, perfumed lemon essence). I don’t think you can actually eat it though. It is sort of like a bay leaf, where it adds flavor but is not edible.