Ingredients that caused revelations

Kaffir lime leaves are another aromatic bomb to the senses

You can eat the white and pale green parts of lemon grass near the root end. Some of the green leaves near the base are great as well and become tender when cooked

3 Likes

I didn’t realize that some parts of the lemongrass were edible. The mussel dish I ate had small thin pale white slivers of lemongrass, that tasted great but were a little tough.

1 Like

Needed to be cooked longer

2 Likes

The core is more tender than the outer leaves.

4 Likes

The first time I cooked with lemongrass, I seriously wanted to pound a whole stalks and rub it directly on me - my necks, hands, arms. The smell was so wonderful that I wanted to smell this the rest of the day! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The other similarly sweet, pleasant smelling scent is cardamom pods. I was trying to make a version of kheer, and as soon as I added the cardamom to the dish, it instantly reminded me of the best versions of that dessert. I also like a tad thrown into coffees, sometimes french toast. There’s something about the spice is that warming, but not quite as heavy as cinnamon, that I really like.

5 Likes

I also love lemongrass tea. I haven’t had it in a while. It just has such a wonderful scent and flavor.

1 Like

@naf

You shall find it is probably alot cheaper directly from their Factory or online shop in Dijon.

They have quite a wide variety of flavors 

I thought of a couple more - Walkerswood Jerk Paste from Cost Plus before I even knew what jerk was, and freshly ground coriander seeds.
Both amazing.

2 Likes

First time I had fresh ginger root and lychees.

1 Like

Now you are talking about lychee combination, you reminded me of the magic of lychee, rose syrup and raspberry. Of course it is the dessert of Pierre Hermé, but this flavour works and cause revelation.

3 Likes

@naf That sounds very delicious! I LOVE both lychee and raspberries.
Rose water too in judicious amounts. :rose:

2 Likes

I am not much of a fan of lychee in desserts. However, last Friday I had a delicious Peking duck breast, at a Thai restaurant, with Thai eggplants, pineapples, Thai basil, green beans, and lychees, in a spicy red curry sauce, and the lychees were completely transformed in that red curry sauce (as well as the pineapples).

4 Likes

Another vote for Walkerswood Jerk paste!

Never heard of Walkerswood (jerk yes, the brand no) - I’ll have to give it a try, I love jerk.

Sounds like a very unique combination of flavors. I would enjoy it.

1 Like

I actually intended to reply the first time I tried both but separately not in combination.

I think you’ll like it @Thimes - a great flavor profile. I always have an extra jar or 2 on hand.

Yes, it was delicious.

8 Likes

Unfortunately in many restaurants , the lychee they use are fruit conserved in sugar water, nothing to do with the real fruit.

2 Likes

Even yardies like it!