Ingredients that caused revelations

It doesn’t hit everyone over the head immediately like it did me. But 99.99% of the time, you do get knocked upside the head and think “what the hell was I waiting for?” :grin:

P.S. this part?

It’s a given at Wegmans. LOL

1 Like

Purée preserved lemons and add to commercial mayonnaise.

5 Likes

I haven’t been to the one in Burlington, but the one in Natick is worth the drive out West for me. I really really do not like to shop (groceries or otherwise), but I just had a great time - at a grocery store! We had lunch there and everything. I have to try the one in Burlington to compare.

2 Likes

That Wegman’s is a fun shopping experience! The free parking so convenient too.

1 Like

You know, I could have used this idea yesterday… sigh.

The Burlington and the Westwood Wegmans are really good, IMO. Haven’t been to the Natick one. Plenty of parking, large stores with huge section for the prepared food section. I also love going to Wegmans - I tell my sister it’s like going to Candyland for me.

2 Likes

My goto Wegmans is in Newton. I don’t like it that much as it is constantly packed with people, long lines, and just a regular supermarket IMO. The one in Natick, however, is like you say “Candyland”. It has a coffee shop and a good burger-bar inside and their selection of prepared foods is amazing. It is two stories of everything I could possibly want or need. The only problem is that it takes about an hour each way. Burlington and Westwood are both about the same distance as Natick for me, but I plan to make a visit this weekend to one of them for my Thanksgiving grocery shopping.

1 Like

I love that. It’s my Happy Place.

I’m guessing Wegmans is like Trader Joe’s, in that there is familiarity required with their house products?

There’s a new one in Brooklyn, but I haven’t gone yet. I have been to the Westwood one once because it’s so close to the Amtrak station.

We need a What’s Good At Wegmans thread!

ETA: We have one already :grimacing:

Wegman’s is way above TJ’s, in # of products and their prepared foods.

Recommendations?

Completely diff in grocery exp, price, brands and shopping options. Wegman’s is a food mall with a liquor option, kosher option and mini health food/lifestyle dept. they have eat in or take out options and dining facilities. A great bakery and butcher. The location we go to takes at least 30 mins to get thru. We often eat there then shop.

4 Likes

Even the freezer dept has multi options. Cheese dept is killer.

1 Like

Slacker. I take an hour minimum. LOL

5 Likes

LOL, I must be a youngster…I don’t linger.

3 Likes

https://www.usarice.com/news-and-events/publications/usa-rice-daily/article/usa-rice-daily/2018/05/08/chefs-see-rice-flour-as-a-secret-ingredient-to-make-everything-better

2 Likes

There must be big differences in wegmans stores after reading all the comments. The one near me seems to be unexciting produce and a lot of boxed/prepared/processed foods. I found it depressing. I did get some chocolate for baking that was ok.

4 Likes

When lemongrass is picked fresh, it’s edible. When it’s dried, it may not be.

1 Like

Fuzhounese cooking also often uses fruit in savory dishes, including lychees, making them sweet and sour. But in my experience so far, the best use for lychees is just to pop fresh ones in your mouth! They’re my favorite fruit. We do get pretty good ones around June in Chinese neighborhoods in New York, though the best I ever had were in Hong Kong.

2 Likes

I’ve not heard of Wegman’s except online here. Other than living in Cape May for six months I’ve never spent any time in the northeast .