Ingredient Drift

Well, since church-type group cookbooks are made up of recipes by home cooks and not professional recipe writers (who aren’t infallible) are you surprised by the lack of specifics? I often find recipes in those books to be inspiration and not (ironically) gospel.

2 Likes

And you won’t use the bathroom for a week. And when you do…

They’re interesting, but I draw the line at Velveeta cubes speared with toothpicks as an hors d’œuvre :joy:. Even if the dimensions of the cube are specified. And I own a few such books.

4 Likes

Unsalted.

2 Likes

Exactly! Our bulldog is English and he’s so much bigger than the French versions. Probably due to his love of all things Sweet Potato :slight_smile:

Does this change if the toothpicks have the little cellophane frilly bits on the end?

What about if they’re the little plastic swords?

5 Likes

Yep, I remember that too. I didn’t say it wasn’t happening, I’m saying it took about 10 years for anything to get done about it (other than stores themselves restricting sales, and some states had already passed their own similar laws). The federal law wasn’t enacted until March 2006 and the system took another 6 months or so (IIRC) to get fully implemented.

Did overall meth supplies dry up nationally as a result? Not that I can tell. The main suppliers already had cheaper RM supplies than retail purchasing.

True, but complaining that the feds take a long time to do something is like complaining that water is wet. The govt. moves slowly BY DESIGN. And if overall supplies haven’t dropped, maybe they haven’t increased as fast as otherwise? Certainly, pulling Sudafed off the shelf meant a lot of SMALLER operations never happened, since that was the easiest route to get raw materials, and for those that DO want to take Sudafed for a cold or allergies, it’s still available, even if it’s rather inconvenient.

1 Like

I love how a thread about ingredient drift itself ended up drifting to a side thread about meth ingredients. Technically, it’s still on topic, I guess.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

8 Likes

In this case, the ingredients didn’t drift in quality or quality, just location!

1 Like

Not surprised, but sometimes a bit frustrated if it’s a venture into newish territory for me and it sounded like a good recipe up front. And of course it’s probably only a small minority of the recipes - it’s just that those are the ones that stick to mind.

Every 5 or 7 years our church publishes and sells cookbooks to donate cash for Habitat builds. If I write a recipe for publication (not many, about 2-3 per cookbook so maybe 10 over the years), I have my wife and MIL read to catch contradictions or errors, and to help it make sense. I’ve been surprised at least a couple of times by how confusing one of my first drafts came out.

Agree that I should be looking to them more for ideas’ sake and less as a plan to follow.

4 Likes

Those are the gourmet versions!

2 Likes

I think celery should be sold by the separated single-stalk, for folks like us who only use a bit in specific items. The 12-14 stalk “head” is way too much – I think I still have last year’s excess frozen for “someday” use in soups.

2 Likes

Leave a note where you post the initial recipe, please? That corn pudding recipe sounds like something we’d enjoy.

I get prepped snack bags of cut ribs. sometimes. Seems to keep longer than the whole big stalk thing. One local small grocery does sell in-house prepped trays of ribs. Oddly, they seem to keep longer than the bagged versions.

1 Like

I just make celery-heavy recipes when I have it. It’s an underrated vegetable. It’s great in stir-fries (Fuschia Dunlop has a recipe for a stir fry that is more celery than anything else), with pork in dumplings (and you need a lot of it), as a central ingredient in salads (Joshua McFadden loves celery :joy:), gratins, or braised as a stand-alone vegetable.

4 Likes

We dislike the flavor and texture of celery, so a celery salad or celery-heavy stir-fry or celery soup won’t be on our menu. Once a year we - might - do a picnic side of peanut-butter stuffed celery.

I’ll have to look for that bagged or tray version. My grocery had a mixed-tub of celery & carrot sticks in water at outrageous price that had short life-span in my refrigerator.

I used to teach cooking classes. I always suggested that folks use the grocery salad bar if it was available. That way you can buy exactly as much as you need for a recipe. While the per pound price might be higher than if you bought a whole bunch of celery a half cup of diced celery would cost less than a dollar with no waste. Plus you save time by eliminating chopping time.

5 Likes

Agree, if you can find a salad bar with chopped celery…

1 Like