Impulse buy - pork jowls

Saw these at a local market and couldn’t resist. I don’t come across these that often, without going to a specialty store. I recall having some fantastic pork jowl dishes at restaurants before (nothing recent), but I’ve never cooked these at home before.

What would you make with pork jowls?

2 Likes

Do you have raw jowls or cured a la guanciale?

1 Like

I remember what sounded like an amazing but ambitious project involving an extra refrigerator, if I ever found jowls. I thought it was from Serious Eats for guanciale, but this is all I could find there.

ETA Here it is!

Making Guanciale at Home-Nick and Blake, the guys behind The Paupered Chef

Pork cheeks aren’t the same as jowls, at least where I have lived and cooked.

Cheeks are a lump of muscle…the actual cheek of the beast.

I braise cheeks for gorgeous, unctuous stews and ragus. I love how silky these dishes feel…I do the same with beef cheeks too, when I can find them.

Jowls are the lower jaw, incuding the bone. Here in the southern US, they are cured and used as a seasoning base for beans and braised vegetables like collard greens.

3 Likes

These Thai grilled pork jowls sound fabulous

2 Likes

Spaghetti alla carbonara.

With fresh jowls?

Smoke 'em if you have 'em?

Understood. It was the link I added with the edit that was about the guanciale made from jowls.

Fresh jowls, with no skin and no jaw bone. I like the guanciale idea but don’t really have a place to let this hang and dry/cure for weeks.

I don’t have a smoker, and prefer non smoked meats (even with bacon), so likely won’t go that route. Most of the hotel dishes I’ve had in the past were braised dishes.

“Food is a pretty good prism through which to view humanity.”

― Jonathan Gold