I'm making stuffing in a slow cooker!

I work at a well known kitchen/home retailer and we make our packaged stuffing in the slow cooker all the time. I sauté onions and celery right in the slow cooker, add the bread mix, seasoning and broth, stir and heat on high about 35 minutes. The cooker keeps the stuffing warm for quite a while.

I do the same thing at home but will often make my own stuffing from scratch. The only negative is no crispy top. If I’m really feeling ambitious, I’ll take the cooked stuffing out, turn the heat up, add some butter and put the stuffing back in so that is crisps up.

3 Likes

You lost me…joking!

1 Like

Regardless of how it turns out I’d love to hear about your experience. If all works well I’ll try it this Thanksgiving in my slow cooker. Free up space in my oven for casseroles etc…:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

In years past, I seem to recall “smuggling” some special flour from “down south”.

This year I’m considering

I also have

which I really need to use.

1 Like

Hard to tell if there is sugar in the first mix. Only one way to find out.

1 Like

I think you are saying I should make both! Too bad we are about to have another planned electricity outage. I did manage to make another batch of pepper jelly, which is always nice with cornbread.

Or hot pepper jelly over cream cheese a la Jezebel and hot buttered sliced cornbread on the side. I’d eat that.

1 Like

Pepper jelly brigade!

2 Likes

On second thought, I don’t think I would eat that.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m going to have to look up “a la Jezebel”. Maybe the website? I’m thinking the one in the Bible didn’t have cream cheese.

ETA Found it!

1 Like

As of right now, this is the plan. Fortunately I am still sleeping like I’m in another time zone. And maybe "I’ll take the cooked stuffing out, turn the heat up, add some butter and put the stuffing back in so that is crisps "! Thanks @Miss_belle and @MsBean!

Turns out I’ll be “finishing” in a Crock-Pot, not a slow cooker.

What’s the Difference Between a Crock-Pot and a Slow Cooker?

They must have gotten a lot of feedback because they added a follow-up with a lot of disclaimers.

1 Like

Sample (but in the oven, not Crock pot).

3 Likes

That looks delicious!!

If a customer comes into the store asking for a Crock-Pot, we make a special point to say slow cooker since, as you’ve noted, Crock-Pot is a brand and we don’t sell it.

Once I had so much going on in my kitchen I set up my slow cooker in the garage to cook my stuffing (or is that dressing - probably the subject of another thread).

1 Like

I baked it for 30 minutes in the oven, then transferred it to my buttered Crock pot set on high, then brought to work. I reserved the browned too pieces, and put them on time, and added a bit more brown with a torch.
Only my HO friends would understand.

11 Likes

They both look delicious

1 Like

That does look delicious. I was worried about you doing a never made before stuffing because timing can be so iffy in those things. But I can see you handled it with your usual aplomb.:slightly_smiling_face: So now for the million dollar Q. How did it go over at work. Did they like it?:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Arggh!
“I reserved the browned too pieces, and put them on time, and added a bit more brown with a torch.” was supposed to say “I reserved the browned top pieces, and put them on top, and added a bit more brown with a torch.”

You are too kind! It was quite the success. I had to go to a meeting, and when I got back, the crock was cleaned . The person who washed it said folks couldn’t get enough.

Husband complained I didn’t keep some home, but I didn’t recall him “appreciating” it!

I have to say it’s probably not justified, but I want a “Searzall”, instead of this splotchy butane thing.

1 Like

With Thanksgiving coming up, have you ever seen the “Turk diggler?” I think you are the one to make this shine :slight_smile:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnewyork.com/entertainment/the-scene/Thanksgiving-Turkey-Sandwich-Stuffing-Bun-Speakeatery-Asbury-Park-New-Jersey-456177093.html%3Famp=y

1 Like

I have not, but I have a feeling I’m going to be thinking about it!

I had to look up the definition of aplomb! :thinking: