If you could only pick 2 spices or sauces aside from salt and sugar

Garlic and black pepper.
No contest.

3 Likes

Sugar? Can I trade sugar for black pepper? And garlic is not a spice. I count it as a vegetable, like olive oil. Iā€™ll go with red pepper and basil. Or maybe rosemary. Or ā€¦

3 Likes

Ok, Iā€™m going to cheat, but I think itā€™s fair cheating. Garlic is an aromatic, and we grow our own. So cheating on that, as well as the Greek oregano, and rosemary we grow.

So my two, will be Tellicherry black peppercorns and Vietnamese cinnamon.

Oh, forgot to say, I consider peppers and chiles to be food, so I can get all the delicious heat I want from grocery & make my own sauces, etc. Think I could make do with those for awhile, but would miss many others.

3 Likes

Fish sauce and Chinese black vinegar.

4 Likes

Lamb chop, I like the way you think. I grow peppers, Rosemary, oregano, basil, tarragon (which chicken loves), mint, and parsley So I guess I just need ā€¦ curry? Do capers count?

3 Likes

Garlic & basil. Whoā€™s a good Italian boy ā€¦

4 Likes

Forgot, we also grow mint and basil, but I couldnā€™t cook without cumin, that would be difficult. Truly itā€™s like asking a mother to pick her favorite childā€¦

Hmm paprika could be made if, (and I have before) I could find fresh paprika chiles/peppers around here.

Impressive array of spices/herbs you grow @johntannerbbq!

Meant to say I canā€™t even find tarragon starter plants in my area, except once, and it didnā€™t do well. Will maybe try from seed next year. Oh we have chives too. Very nice to have. Should grow some parsley.

1 Like

Another vote for garlic and basil. Then, sage and tarragon.

2 Likes

Oh lucky me, forgot we have sage too, itā€™s by the rosemary; things are looking up by the minute! :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

@Lambchop I bought a Mexican Tarragon starter plant a couple of years ago. Its lasted tow winters and itā€™s turning into a bush. I love it. Oh, and we have two kind of sage. One is variegated.
And we have some lavender. Does anyone cook with lavender? I donā€™t particularly like the odor.

1 Like

@JoeBabbitt A fairly good Southern boy whoā€™s a big fan of Italian food. And most other food.

Food on the grill usually just needs salt and pepper. Garlic goes with almost everything else. Shrimp and grits, red beans and rice, all pasta dishes, all vegetables, all soups and stews, ā€¦ everything except desserts, and Iā€™m keeping an open mind there. Basil goes with tomatoes. 'nuff said.

2 Likes

I do use a little lavender in some things, as is found in Herbes de Provence. A light hand is needed with that stuff IMO. Iā€™ve had lavender in iced tea - tasted like soap, yuck. Iā€™ve had it in a couple of pleasant cocktails though, and actually like the aroma. Totally forgot we grow lavender tooā€¦

Have never heard of Mexican tarragon, but am intrigued now! Do use Mexican oregano for Mexican and Latin foods, but would never use it in Greek, Italian, or other cuisines @johntannerbbq.

1 Like

My wife uses it in shortbread cookies.

1 Like

It would probably be tasty in that application @Rooster, love shortbread.

1 Like

Soy sauce and thyme. Am assuming that garlic is a veg. Lemon and lime are fruit. Yeh, I can go a long way with these.

3 Likes

Difficult to narrow it down to two, but I think iā€™d go with black pepper and smoked paprika.

3 Likes

If you put dried garlic (flakes or bits) in a grinder (could be with or without other spices) and use it on food then itā€™s a seasoning spice! A few things mentioned here are not considered ā€œspiceā€. They are ingredients and condiments. So garlic is a spice, to me.

2 Likes

The whole premise of only two is anxiety-inducing - my masala dabba / spice box has 7 compartments :joy:

Iā€™d be judicious about what went in there and add soy sauce and vinegar for condiments. Chilli oil would be close, but with chilli powder in the dabba, I wouldnā€™t ā€œneedā€ it.

So I blew the premise, but Iā€™d happily leave something out of the bag to fit these in.

5 Likes

Ancho chili powder and oregano.

3 Likes

Trader Joeā€™s 21 Seasoning Salute and Penzeyā€™s Tsardust Memories (a tie with Krakow Nights).

3 Likes