If You Could Have Perfect Evenness and Response in One Pan, Which One?

Well, are we talking commercial availability in 2017? 2018? I’d like a 13x20 griddle, or so. The mega rondeau, less so — that’s a bit big.

It would definitely be a rondeau. For what you are talking about I think it goes without saying we are talking about something that could be used for sauté work. Likewise you would want that pan to be fairly large to fully take advantage of the even heating properties. At the same time, you wouldn’t want it to be so big that sauce work would be an extremely unlikely option. I personally find my 7.4 quart Catering rondeau to be my most versatile pan for this very reason. At 30cm it spreads the heat evenly well beyond the burner for proteins and vegetables. The relatively high sides and modest overall volume make it a fine sauce pot as well. At 14 inches I think you are barking up the right tree, but if it was 10 quarts I think it would be too big for sauce work and perhaps no longer “ideal.” My Calphalon One “perfect pan” is 14 inches and 6 quarts and pretty darn versatile.

10 quart sauce pan. Second, 11" rondeau.

I’m still looking for THAT one and only one pan. It needs to be 28cm, can be use on induction top, and oven. I like the idea of cast iron, but it’s a bit too heavy. Better to be non-stick.

I recently bought an Italian Knindustrie Pan k7 pan to replace my existing non stick pan (coating was off). It is a new product I believe, I was tempted by the extremely light weight and the non-stick surface. It’s an aluminium pan with a very thin coated with iron coating to form the non stick. So far, I’m not too impressed. It is too fragile, and the coating doesn’t seem sturdy, since it’s thin, it heats up too fast when to compare to other pans, and easily get burnt (well, I wonder where is the non-stick surface?!) They do have some interesting design, and also a glass pot for fire top, but now I wonder if they are stuff for design catalogue. I will need to use more to really decide on my opinion on it.