If You Could Have Perfect Evenness and Response in One Pan, Which One?

This is a great pan, no doubt. Most of us would be better cooks if we had one.

In fact, the “B” in our A-B comparisons will be something very much like this, albeit in a little larger diameter. B will be a 14" Gaillard rondeau in 4mm copper, lined in silver.

A 4-qt saute pan, preferable with sides angled at about 60 degrees. Oven and stove compatible, of course, with a good lid that forms a seal and welded handles (arms or no arms, woukdn’t really matter to me, though that might turn my pan into a braiser :smile:) .

To answer a later question you posed in the thread: no, I would not prefer any change made to my enameled cast iton pans- they’re heavy enough and cook beautifully.

I assume you know about the new ultralight metallic microlattice that Boing announced its going to use for aircraft exteriors last week? It’s composition is (purportedly) 99.99% air, and its superstrong. It has to have really unique thermal qualities, else why would Boing use it for aircraft “skin”? I’ve not been able to find anything that talks about the thermal transfer abiliy between the two outer surfaces (I suspect it’s probably pretty low), but if one of these R&D groups who keep coaxing Shrodinger’s cat out of the box paid it some mind and gave it fabulous heat trasfer qualities for cooking, can you imagine a 30 inch suateuse that only added a gram or so to the weight of its content? Bingo! I want one!!! And no, I don’t want to know how much one would cost!!! :cry:

I meant 45 degrees :slight_smile:

A 14" rondeau would be great. A 15x23 griddle would be nice down the road.

I would like a roundeau as big as my oven can hold with nice high sides and a lid so I could make huge batches of stew or fricassee - since its fantasyland I will forget the need to be able to actually lift said pan. Right now life maxes out around 11" diameters for rondeau and saute pans in my kitchen I would like to get closer to 24" and still function on the hob

1 Like

Oh, it’s not fantasy. We’re prototyping a 14" rondeau and a 21-inch griddle. I cooked a burger placed 18" away from the heat source on the griddle. It works well.

Kaleokahu, hold on! I’ve been eyeing a 9.5" rondeau by Brooklyn Copper. Should I hold that thought?? 14" is significantly larger but the additional capacity is appealing. Perhaps I need both? When you say industry launch in 2016, do you mean the first products will be available for order?

me, too – I’d love to have those characteristics in every pan, but my saute pan is my work horse. There’s at least one on the stove nearly every night of the week.

Then probably a Dutch oven type. My sauce pans are mostly for steaming vegetables.

Hi, Jammie:

No, buy from Brooklyn. It will be awhile until this technology comes to market. Mac’s stuff (and Mac) is wonderful right now.

Aloha,
Kaleo

All right then. And perhaps the griddle will work on my Chambers. Bon chance!

Hi Kaleo,

For me, the pots I use are 20 cm. to 28 cm.–8" to 11"–2 3/4 qt. to 7 qt.–all with lids. The pans are 9", 10", and 11". My two 10" pans have lids. My 11" crepe pan serves as my grill. Anything over 11" is too big for my “empty nester” kitchen.

Ray

Hi, Ray:

So in which–one–pan would you like perfect evenness and responsiveness?

Just for you, the prototypes will work on induction.

Aloha,
Kaleo

Hi Kaleo,

Terrific!

Ray

I find it somewhat ironic, but our technology is probably going to make hot-spotting on induction a thing of the past…

Hi Kaleo,

When will you have some comparison data?

Ray

As soon as I get to cook on a 2.0 prototype. The comparative FLIR video thermography will be professionally shot for the press releases in about a month.

Since you ruled out graphite (my guess), I’m guessing it’s something like a vapor chamber using something like silicone oil. If it is, then it would be of interest in larger pans and possibly commercially, though I’d be curious about longevity/safety/cost, since similar designs have had such issues.

Hi, Franz:

Welcome to HO.

Strike 2. We are a little further along than the Pauli Pot.

Aloha,
Kaleo

1 Like

Thanks K, looking forward to when it goes public.