Ideas to use up a very large bunch of Chinese Chives (green)

They were so beautiful and fresh I had to buy them. Now they are home and I don’t have any specific plans.

I’m looking for ideas that work for solo cooking or dishes that make good leftovers.

Please inspire me!

I don’t know about leftovers or imaginative dishes but last time I bought a big bunch in HMart I had chive omelets every day for a week and never tired of them. I love them in tuna and egg and potato salad as well. As soon as I post this more will come to mind :thinking:

2 Likes

Perhaps a batch of Northern style boiled dumplings? They freeze well.

Also +1 to garlic chives and eggs. Can also add shrimp to this.

2 Likes

Dumplings and Sichuan “twice-cooked pork” come to mind. If you eat pork, this Sichuan dish uses the belly cut. One of Sichuan most famous dishes, belly pork being so prized.

Otherwise just use in stir-fries or soup.

I think they are stuffed into Vietnamese rice paper rolls.

1 Like

Omelette is great, as mentioned upthread. Chinese like to eat them with pork blood.

How about Korean pancakes?
https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/buchu-jeon

1 Like

Chive kimchi!

1 Like

Recipe?

1 Like

Sorry, no set recipe, I go by feel. Plenty of recipes online though.

This method works with any delicate green things. I use it for cilantro and parsley often, when you get a big bunch and you know you won’t finish.

I toss chives in fish sauce and a bit of sugar and let it sit.

Add gochugaru (coarse Korean chili flake), some finely chopped scallions, and garlic / ginger, finely chopped or pureed (A lot less ginger than garlic, something like 1:3 - 1:5 ratio). Add a little msg too if you’re into that kind of thing. If you have some Korean fermented shrimp, that’s nice too.

Optionally add a little bit of rice powder or flour cooked in water until it forms a glue.

Chives are also a main ingredient in cucumber kimchi which is even more delicious.

3 Likes

Garlic chutney
1 cup chopped garlic shoots (Chinese chives)
2 cups coriander
1 hot green pepper, seeded
1 lemon, juice and rind

Pulverize everything in the food processor. Transfer to a storage container, and pour a little olive oil on top.

2 Likes

Thanks!

I had just gone a bit brainless looking at the bunch and needed inspiration. And you guys delivered it big time!

The kimchi and the chutney are both ideas I doubt I would have thought of. Plus they use up a lot and preserve the bounty!

Does anyone do anything special with just the flower buds?

Thank you! It’s nice to see a dumpling recipe which is for a managable amount! Because the concept of freezer space falls in the camp of mythical concepts in my house. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

An omelet was made as soon as I had brought them home!

1 Like

Korean pancakes or chive-shrimp dumplings were what came to mind first, but I wonder if a version of my favorite scallion ginger sauce using the chives in place of some or all of the scallions would work. (I prefer the slightly-cooked version, skipping the chilies.)

1 Like

I love Korean pancakes but have only had them out. Do you think the recipes scale down well? Most I’ve looked at in the past made so much and I didn’t think the leftovers would be that good.

I love Chinese chives, and frequently cook them as a savory omelette to eat with rice. They are a great dumpling filler, when paired with seafood or pork as others have noted. I even like them quickly blanched with some oyster sauce. If you chop them up, they are also s nice assuring to a hot bowl of soup noodles or in noodle stir fries.

1 Like

The first thing that came to my mind was a batch of Chinese Pancake (flatbread) they can be wrapped well individually and frozen until use. Just put on a greased griddle and cook on each side til done.

1 Like

I’m always scaling down. This recipe uses 1/2c flour for a single (large) pancake - I’d make a tbsp of that something “crispening” like rice flour or semolina, and add some more flavoring.

But the reason I referenced it is for her drizzling-batter-over-filling technique, which works better for me than the mix-it-all-together-in-a-bowl.

The pancakes are best fresh, but they do reheat better in a toaster oven than on the stovetop, and even better if you are generous with the oil while making them first.

1 Like

I used to order shrimp with mango and chives at a local restaurant, I wasn’t going to come back to post it but then I saw this and figured I’m here anyway https://www.thaitable.com/thai/recipe/chinese-chive-flowers-with-shrimp

1 Like

I once overbought at the farmer’s market and had a lot of them reach the “use or lose” stage. I sweated them in bacon fat (not an olive oil fan), along with strips of salami, then tossed them with spaghetti, topping with basil pesto.

1 Like

Flavored oil, warm in oil drain out pcs. Store.
Compound butter. Even cubed in ice cube trays.
Folded into cream cheese, veg spread.
Chive bread, popovers, savory muffins

1 Like