Ideas to use up a very large bunch of Chinese Chives (green)

+1 for pancakes!
I made these pancakes with the chives instead of onions, which are super simple- make them the size of regular pancakes so they’re easier to flip. You can use miso paste if you don’t have doenjang. It’s going to look like a tiny amount of batter and it will never hold together but magically it does work. I made a bunch to use a lot of the chives and leftovers the next day rewarmed well in a pan (I wouldn’t microwave or freeze).
You could top them with an egg and serve with some rice and kimchi for an easy meal
https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/pajeon

2 Likes

I love Chinese chive pockets! The recipe I’ve used is from Andrea Nguyen’s Asian Tofu, but here’s a different online recipe: https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/chive-pancake/

1 Like

I wasn’t able to try many of these ideas. The enormous bunch of what was labeled Chinese Chives became stinkier and stinkier with each passing day. They were in great shape, no slime, etc. But the smell was a very disagreeable super-amped bad garlic scent. I finally had to throw them out.

Is this typical? Is there a way to keep this from happening during storage?

I know this only TOO well. My in-laws used to come for extended (two months!!!) visits to our tiny apartment in San Francisco. They love chives, as chives are not readily available in their home town of Little Rock. Thus, they stock up and have chives EVERY SINGLE meal of EVERY SINGLE day of their stay.

As a compliant newlywed, I did not show any disrespect by voicing any negative feedback. After a time, the smell was killing me. Not only did my fridge reek, my kitchen reeked, our entire apartment smelled, my garage smelled horrid from the garbage cans. My bride also did not smell anything close to a fresh summer breeze either. :frowning: Glad to say, we are no longer newlyweds, and I am a bit more vocal (though still gracious) when it comes to my personal comfort in my personal space. Thanks for allowing my rant. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This immediately made me think of those threads about horrid food smells on airplanes!

The first few days there wasn’t much smell. I guess it increases over time?

Probably so. Or, my tolerance DECREASES over time. Most likely a combo of both.

1 Like

I know of no way to prevent it; I think the build of the aroma (yes, I call it aroma!) over the days in the fridge seems inevitable, unless you are diligent to put it in several layers of plastic bags or wrapping. I just warn people if they have to open my fridge and I have those chives in there.

My mom also grows chives, so she’ll randomly leave chives from her garden in my fridge and forget to tell me. Doesn’t stay “hidden” long.

1 Like

Very good to know!

Maybe a little late for the OP, but I would add that using them in Thai/Lao/Viet cooking could work well when fresh. In place of green onions (scallions) for Pad Thai or other stir fries, for example.

1 Like