Ideas for Leftover Brisket?

I suggest it more than I eat it :joy:

1 Like

I agree wholeheartedly! Being in Austin it is a given that I worship well smoked brisket. However, last weekend I found something I liked as much. My son in law smoked beef cheeks and then braised and chopped them for barbacoa tacos. OMG. Beef cheeks give hanger steak a run for best cut IMO.

6 Likes

Oooh - have heard they’re delicious, but haven’t tried them yet. So far smoked brisket is my all time favorite if it’s done well. I love the half fatty stuff. Texas really has it nailed when it comes to brisket. Finally we can do a good one at home now too. Not as good as the masters, but more than acceptable. Will try to source some beef cheeks now & give them a try.

1 Like

If you get Aaron Franklin’s book and follow it, assuming you get great brisket and wood, you can make world class brisket.

2 Likes

Good to know. We’ve had lots of trial and error (mostly error), but always edible. The biggest leap forward was wrapping the brisket in foil, after it was out of the smoker, putting it in an insulated cooler, and letting it rest for an hour or two. Gave the juices a chance to reabsorb into the meat, was pretty damn good & we do it that way now, always.
Was just thinking about leftover brisket again, I think it would make some pretty damn good drunken noodles too.

3 Likes

These both call for braised brisket (as part of the recipe), but you could probably use leftover brisket (and find a way to get some of the braising liquid flavors in there in other ways):

7 Likes

“I love the half fatty stuff.”

I find that interesting. A few years ago I ordered takeout and when we got home it was half fat. Not happy. The next time I called I mentioned it to her and she said oh you can order ‘lean’. Been doing that ever since. To me fatty brisket is a cheap way out for BBQ places. And last year we stopped by a BBQ joint on the way home and ‘half fatty brisket’ was $4 more per pound than Lean. I just don’t see the attraction of half and half.:slightly_smiling_face:

In my experience it isn’t truly half fat, but rather has a nice fat cap that is extremely melty, very flavorful, and helps to make very lean brisket a bit more moist. But everyone has their preferences, which is as it should be.

2 Likes

I’ve had many a smoked brisket salad at a local bbq joint. Mixed greens topped with just the right amount of: sliced red onions, grape tomatoes, shredded carrots, thinly sliced cold smoked brisket, blue cheese dressing and additional blue cheese crumbles. One or two small warmed sourdough rolls, nice creamy butter and back then, a nice crispy white or white zin. Good company is key, too.

3 Likes

That’s the “point” cut! I much prefer that to the “flat”.

2 Likes

Kreplach or some kind of dumpling, if you have freezer space. I looove fried kreplach for an at-home happy hour.

And for pastraim, the “navel”, right?

3 Likes

So much more flavor!

1 Like

Correct. And hard to find.

1 Like

I adore fatty brisket.

2 Likes

Me too, and if the juice from the meat were saved, I’m dipping the HAIL otta dat thang.