I will not abandon my 8" Wusthof Classic Ikon Chef's Knife, but

Beautiful produce, which he handles with respect.

You know what they say, if you want to eat proper French food, go to Belgium! :shushing_face: :wink:

Joined at the hip, from the language on up.

I just watched once. Great knife skill and good overall food preparation.

1 Like

Hi Pertti,

My fusion batterie only fits well in SOCAL–not even the rest of the United States. We’re really the only place with a critical mass from Asia living side by side with Westerners.

Over there, our preoccupation with beef just doesn’t make sense to them–and a cheap santuko, nakiri, or cleaver is often enough at home.

I haven’t seen many Japanese hard steel artisan knives in Japanese homes–not even Japanese/American homes here in SOCAL.

He has other videos on YouTube. They’re all worth a watch.

1 Like

Look, let’s not make fun of Chef Panko. He doesn’t claim to be some Michelin starred chef so we shouldn’t judge him as such.

Personally, I’d rather have a meal at whatever place Panko cooks at, than at Redzepi’s Noma, ‘the best restaurant in the world’, where they serve green worms and charge you 660 dollars for it! :heart_eyes:

damiano,

When not in use, knives in Chef Panko’s Japanese restaurant were dropped into a pail of water.

1 Like

Two observations: First there are large Asian and Western communities living together in all the large cities north of LA up to Seattle. Second, when I practiced law in a big firm, my two largest clients were very large Japanese technology companies. Very wealthy young Japanese people seem to have a tremendous appreciation for beef. The older folk tend to resist it.

3 Likes

Beef is push to the limit in Japan. Various high end Wagyu beef should be good examples.

1 Like

Who is making fun of Panko?

2 Likes

Time is my most valuable asset. I doubt I would waste it on wherever it is “Chef Panko” cooks. It takes more than knife skills to put together a menu worth eating.

3 Likes

Why compare to Chef Panko, Charles?

He’s mostly worked as a sushi chef, which requires years of formal training, partly in Japan–unlikely to be even noticed by Westerners–with single beveled exotic knives.

That’s a joke?

He mostly has been reviewing all sorts of knives–especially from a professional user perspective. Doesn’t do much showing off.

Where’s the comparison?

He’s a joke.

And there is no comparison.

I can cut sushi-grade tuna so thin you could read a newspaper through it with a $15 knife from a street vendor in Harlem.

You’re too easily impressed.

4 Likes

I remember doing that trick with tomatoes and onions and mom’s old Ecko when I was a teenager making the salad. It was kept very sharp with one of those pull throughs with interlocking discs.

1 Like

Not the same, Vecchiouomo,

I’ve been to and lived in many of these Asian places.

My experiences right now are with home cooks that I often as not meet face to face at the local grocery store, worship with in church, and cook together with when we do small community coop meals.

I also meet weekly with a Japanese collaborator trying to adapt from Japanese to Western Culture.

Not surprised at all!

Your statement obviously means something to you other than what it means to others. To me it is categorically false. This phenomenon of very large Asian populations living in large cities with westerners is quite common. Houston and New York have very large and culturally rich Asian populations.

2 Likes

Charles,

An insult followed by a boast like that doesn’t respond to my point.

It just illustrates your arrogance.

Why are you insulting a fellow Hungry Onion poster?

They are not fusion though.
I wonder if Ray only means SOCAL is the only place with a large Asian population within California.… but even then… it ruled out Bay Area, so I actually do not know what he means.