I love butter

Did a taste test on toast between President and this one - half with one, half with the other. The Beurre de Baratte was a bit saltier. I preferred the President. Then, I served the Baratte at dinner. I cut pats and left it out to soften a bit. It looked oily and unappetizing. The taste was good, but not enough to warrant the extra $2.

2 Likes

wow, me too

1 Like

Whenever butter is discussed here it slightly surprises me that Kerrygold gets so many mentions, and seems to be held in quite high esteem in the US. Good marketing, I guess.

Itā€™s very much a run-of-the-mill butter here in the UK, often stocked in smaller convenience stores or gas station shops. We pay about $2.50 for 8oz.

2 Likes

I agree about Kerrygold - but all I can say is that it is better than our (USA) ā€œrun of the millā€ butter for sure. Crazy but true.

2 Likes

Yes, very true. Our USA butter is very bland. Hence the love of something with actual flavor!

3 Likes

Heidi, do you have any favorite local brands available at WF or wegmans? I need to expand my butter world :slight_smile:

1 Like

Honestly, Iā€™m a butter novice. I just visited a friend in Maine, and they have Kateā€™s butter which was lovely. I tried the Kerrygold on a whim, because after Kateā€™s I didnā€™t want to go back to blandness.

1 Like

I did try kerrygold at my parents on a bagel. It was very good! I need to explore some options next time Iā€™m out shopping.

I like Isigny Ste MĆØreā€™s product, including their butter, their creme is good and delicious. I tried my best to avoid Presidentā€™s product, even if their product may be ok. Their product are mass market oriented and manufactured by Lactalis, a company that pay badly the agriculturer of milk and tries to kill raw milk cheese by making profit over quality, producing passable products are medium at best. They have scandals of contaminated milk making people sick. If the US or Canada make better Camembert than the French, you have to thank Lactalis, making the survival of independent cheese maker nearly impossible.

Please note that the butter you bought of Isigny Ste MĆØre, the salt are of big size, and not refined. Itā€™s more of a rustic style and closer to the ā€œold styleā€ butter. Maybe thatā€™s why you find it ā€œfatā€, but shouldnā€™t butter be fat than any other ingredient?

1 Like

It was very good though, just not worth the extra $2 or going out of my way to find it

I can get Kateā€™s at my local supermarkets in Massachusetts. Itā€™s another great U.S. made butter.

I can get Kateā€™s here too but have never tried it. I like Kellerā€™s and and Cabot which are better than the usual Land o lakes, etc.

1 Like

No Kellerā€™s near me, but yes, Cabotā€™s is a good every day butter.

No Kellerā€™s near me any more. I use the Cabotā€™s in baking.

1 Like

Buttergateā€¦

1 Like

By Irish butter, I assume this is mainly the Kerrygold brand available in the US (or its cousin the Kirkland knock off at Costco). I donā€™t bake much, so no direct comparison but I think from a flavor perspective, I still prefer the Kateā€™s butter a bit more. But being a dedicated Costco shopper, I have Kerrygold/Kirkland off brand too.

2 Likes

Are they cooking chocolate chip cookies in a muffin tin? ??? Is that a thing for people?

1 Like

My Costco (Port Chester, NY) didnā€™t have Kerrygold OR the NZ Kirkland knock off yesterday. I hope this isnā€™t the end of an era, because I LOVE Kerrygold. That said, I donā€™t usually use it in baked goods - the higher fat content makes my American recipes greasy unless I tweak them a bit.

1 Like

Kerrygold is available in a number of supermarkets here - but be aware! you must check the best by datesā€¦ Iā€™ve bought it in ā€˜high endā€™ places like Wegmansā€™ and found it had ā€˜gone offā€™ - bad handling? who knows.

recently found it with a best by date 11 months out - apparently they date it one year out - for our holiday ā€˜bread & butterā€™ stuff and it was really good.

fresh is good, old/stale/gone off - - - not good.

btw - same for ā€˜plugraā€™ style US versions - check the dates. itā€™s more expensive, does not move as fast, and frequently is not goodā€¦

1 Like

Plugra (ā€˜more fatā€) is readily available here and moves pretty fast, at least in my usual haunts. Itā€™s my default when French butter or local artisanal butter isnā€™t available. Butter is one of my indulgences. I donā€™t use a ton of it, so itā€™s a manageable treat, but so noticeable.

2 Likes