I love butter

And French butter - where have you been all my life? When I was a kid, butter tasted great. Now, American butter, for the most part is all water with no taste. I do like Cabot, but I started using European butters a few years ago. I was in St. Martin and we had a kitchen so we made breakfast. I wondered why my simple buttered toast tasted so good and it was the butter - Danish butter there. I have since used Danish, Kerrygold, and now I’m using President and I am sad when I’m done with my toast. It is so good!!

6 Likes

This one is my current favorite.

6 Likes

I love butter too!

2 Likes

What type of monster doesn’t like butter? I would butter everything if I could. And whipped butter is amazing!

I find myself using “generic” butter when I need to make big batches of either herbed/flavored butter for food or other recipes, but I reserve special butter for toast and other foods where I can savor the rich flavor. Where do you typically find your European butters or other special butters?

3 Likes

If you have chance to come across the French Beurre Bordier from Saint-Malo, Brittany, just get one. Hand churned butter are more delicious than the industrial ones.

http://www.lebeurrebordier.com/en/savoir-faire/fabrication-des-beurres/

My beloved flavoured taste is the smoked salt and seaweed ones. But they are all good, Espelette pepper and the citrus Yuzu one.

I believe now they export, and you find them in big cities like New York or London.

6 Likes

My most favorite butter ever is Anchor from New Zealand - it can be hard to find but worth seeking out. Kerrygold is my everyday choice if I run out of Anchor! I do use American butter (Land o’Lakes or similar) in American baking recipes, though - they don’t always turn out right if you use butter with a lower moisture/higher fat content.

2 Likes

It is one (of many) reasons I could NEVER go vegan. I just don’t think I could go without butter. It is my one caveat for Thanksgiving too - I’m happy to cook vegetarian for guests (and often do) but I WILL NOT do Thanksgiving without butter. Just not possible for me. (Other meals we can work it out).

6 Likes

Trader Joe’s cultured butter is excellent - I reserve it for toast. Anyone tried it? Guesses as to manufacturer?

5 Likes

Love it

1 Like

Next time you’re at an indian store in nj, pick up Amul butter to try…

2 Likes

Try a pat of algue button on grilled lamb chops. :slight_smile:

Try also Monoprix’s cultured butter. Excellent quality for the money and easy availability.

1 Like

re just plain butter, I know that chef’s chide those who use butter as a flavor crutch instead of relying on ingredients and technique to build flavor. But I do enjoy the rush of flavor that a knob added at the end of a sauce or soup makes.

6 Likes

Unless you’re making brown butter, when it’s all about the buttery goodness and the rich, toasty brown bits…mmmmmm…buttery brown bits.

3 Likes

I buy this at a store called Netcost. They specialize in eastern European foods. The butter section takes up one entire wall. Two locations in NJ.

2 Likes

Second favorite is this one… easy to find.

2 Likes

Recently bought this Rodolphe Le Meunier. I have tried many “European style” butters in the USA. This is the only one that tastes as good as the ones I had in France. I can’t recall tasting anything better. It was pretty expensive (for butter) and the store I bought it from is about an hour away. I only have two tablespoons left which makes me sad. I might make the drive to get more as we get into corn season, maybe sooner. I understand that Whole Foods sells it but I doubt that my small whole foods does.

3 Likes

I’m intrigued now! I may have to go to Whole Foods and see if they have it!

And playing my broken record, never visit a Grocery Outlet without checking out its butter offering. European and European style butters are available with some freuency. And at extraordinary prices, to say nothing of convenience.

2 Likes

Next time I’m in Manhattan I’ll have to check!! That looks good!!

1 Like

I absolutely :heart: LOVE :heart: this thread! And now I have many new butters to suss out.

And yes, Trader Joe’s cultured butter is a good one at a pretty good price!

6 Likes