I adulted today...new fridge!

What is your waste utility’s disposal charge for large appliances?

You might be looking at one of dozens of pictures and measurements I took when were still shopping.

1 Like

And thats my concern…i call it the purse principle, because if I carry a larger purse it wnds up being full of crap I might need.

2 Likes

I know how that feels. Several of my bins are held together with epoxy and my produce bin is going to need the duct tape treatment soon. It is a Kitchenaid and is about 19 years old. Not a bad run. No big issues to report. The ice maker and water dispenser finally died a year or so ago. They no longer sell the parts to fix it. I know it is bound to die on me so I have been looking for a new refrigerator for a while. Read enough reviews and you will find that most, if not all makes and models have numerous known issues, recalls and lemons. At least with Kitchenaid one can find people to work on them. I almost bought a LG a few weeks ago until LG confirmed that they have no one listed to service it in my area. They said if I knew a repair person near me that I liked I could fill out some paperwork to get them certified, or something like that. Great! I’m going to be running around trying to get technicians LG certified as my food goes bad.

They have recently changed their rates, $43/ton (prorated) - $20 minimum. There is an extra $10 charge if it is an appliance where freon/refrigerant has to be removed.
Old style “tube” TV’s or monitors are electronic waste and $10/each.
They weigh your truck going in and weigh your truck going out and charge you based on weight.

That ended up being part of the discussion. Local sales place actually brought up that LG and Samsung are still having trouble gettung parts so its hard to get them repaired

1 Like

I was warned when I got my KitchenAid (from an independent local shop - since sold to a chain) that I should avoid LG and Samsung for exactly the same reason. This shop did all their servicing themselves - for generations. So when my KitchenAid died out of warranty, I replaced it with a Bosch (all that was available!) from another local shop that also does all their own service work.

1 Like

$100/ton here, $20 minimum (I think that includes 500 lbs). All appliances are $25 each.

Interesting about the defrost- my KitchenAid had some sort of sensor-activated defrost, which didn’t work so well - the coils still froze up, and when I had my under-warranty repair, the tech (after consulting with KitchenAid on the phone) “reprogrammed” (lots of sequential button pressing not covered in the manual) the fridge to defrost on a time schedule, not on a sensor schedule. That worked for about a year, but when it died again (The freezer was approaching fridge temps according to my thermometers) I just ditched it. First fridge I ever had that died.

They just recently instituted the $20 minimum, last year I got rid of my dead hot water heater for $3.50.
All in all, I’m satisfied with the rates. $20 minimum doesn’t really bother me.
I did my (once a year) big trimming on all of my hedges and trees and filled up my truck, although the weight wasn’t significant there was A LOT on the truck, so I’m happy with $20.

I think my next fridge will be a Whirlpool, I’ve had good luck with their other appliances, so when my Fridgidaire dies, I’ll try whirlpool.
As a side note, I had a horrible time with LG and the washer and dryer I purchased. Finally threw in the towel (LOL) got rid of them and went with Whirlpool. I’ll never purchase anything LG again!!

Someone is going to have a bucket of full of ripe avocados all at once …

1 Like

And stored with ethylene producing apples! Or maybe apples are ethylene sensitive.

Hmmm…are those real?

Thats kind of surprising…LG is the sought-after brand in Europe. I dont doubt you at all…its just a dichotomy.

I rarely exceed the $20 minimum here, so that’s a small price to pay compared with the Garbage Truck Mafia charges. The county transfer station is close to both my houses, and a utility trailer makes it easy.

When we were fridge shopping my kids and I were rather amused by the color coordination of the fake fruit. One fridge was all green, next yellow, red, etc.

2 Likes

Arrived and installed today…everything fits with some room to spare and omg I have the walkway to the dining room back!

5 Likes

Even with all the virtual “views” available these days, it’s hard to appreciate getting such space back until it happens.

One of the best kitchen remodel choices I’ve made is to go with an undercounter refrigerator in the beach house. We keep a fullsize in our “bunkhouse” a few steps away, and the combination works well for us.

1 Like