I adulted today...new fridge!

As a side note, my landfill/dump has an extensive recycle area for appliances and anything metal. There is one area where a guy removes freon/refrigerant from freezers, fridges, a/c units, etc. The rest of the metal is recycled. The employees are very helpful and diligent about keeping metal of any kind from going into the landfill area. This particular landfill incentivizes the employees by giving them a portion of the money made on the scrap metal, so the more metal they help recycle – the bigger their paycheck…

6 Likes

If a person wants to buy a new fridge (or any appliance, or really anything) and wants to post it to share their new toy, there is absolutely no requirement they need to justify their purchasing decision.

You do you.

Other people can choose not to do you.

2 Likes

I bought my new fridge a few years ago, and I didn’t end up getting a KitchenAid but thought they looked pretty neat. What model did you get?

I went a different way from you…I bought a behemoth even though I’m only one person. I’m a vegetarian and my old fridge never had enough bin space for all my fruits and vegetables, especially during farmer’s market season. The salespeople thought I was crazy because I went from fridge to fridge with a measuring tape, getting the internal dimensions of each produce bin.

The new fridge has a water and ice dispenser, and I’m in heaven. I drink a lot of water.

Fortunately, my old fridge was still in great shape, so I was able to give it to a good home.

2 Likes

I replaced my lemon counter-depth KitchenAid with a Bosch, which was all that was available- I needed one immediately. This time I bought an extended warranty.

1 Like

Im on the return trip for that.

When we were in France, I had a tiny top-freezer model. When we got back, I wanted a monster beast with all the whistles and bells!

Its a side by side, and 20 cf should be enough, especially for two people who are constantly busy.

Water and ice in the door is a must…we drink lots of water so being able to have cold water and ice without opening the door dozens of times a day when we’re home is nice.

1 Like

You needn’t justify anything. You’re clearly sick of the old unit, which is reason enough for many people. Enjoy.

1 Like

Thanks for your approval.

Comity and understanding, not approval.

1 Like

Hadn’t thought about that; forgot you’re in mid-Southern FL (despite the obvs connotation from your username).

Reminds me I need a winter getaway and need to see when my daughter wouldn’t mind a visit. Chilly, gray, damp and dreary here. Sunny and 82 in Bradenton today, tomorrow, next day…

1 Like

Doesn’t everybody do this?

2 Likes

Judging by the uneasy glances they gave me as I made my way through the fridge aisles, I’m guessing not!

Oh, I also noticed that a lot of produce bins only open halfway – another thing to look out for if you store a lot of produce. The back half of the bin isn’t very useful if you can’t access it directly.

3 Likes

I’ve said this before, but if one is going to splurge on any one kitchen appliance, it should be the fridge.

No matter what you do, or how you do it, or when you do it, inevitably and invariably it will involve the fridge.

Can’t really say the same thing about other appliances, like the stove (maybe you’re a raw foodie), or the faucet (you only eat prepackaged frozen dinners or ramen), or the microwave (cuz, you just hate radition), etc.

3 Likes

Even ramen need water. Lolol

Well done @Sunshine842 !

This was us shopping for our current counter depth refrigerator, except I’m limited to 15 pictures.

I can’t believe that was more than two years ago! We had the ice maker replaced a few months ago.

3 Likes

Woo! Thats a beauty!

What do you think about all the bins in the freezer drawer? For me that would be one extreme or the other. Id love them or theyd make me bananas

I’m not sure which ones you mean, but I’m learning to use the ones in the Bosch we got .

The top two are shallow, and aside from the plentiful ice ( which doesn’t seem to shut off when it should) my family tends not to use them. So that’s where I stash “the good stuff”.

1 Like

A hiding place is always good!

I think it was an illusion…the last pic looks like there were a lot of small compartments in the top drawer, but I think I was seeing the 2nd drawer through the clear top drawer

We have an old fridge/freezer in the garage, as well as an upright freezer. Definitely enjoy the extra space of the old fridge gives us.

Of course you fill the space that’s available.

The icemaker died in about 2 years?

Just wanted to “chime in” that the ice maker in my Sears Frididaire went up just out of warranty, as well.
I just purchased a couple of old school plastic ice trays (for our ice requirements)
I also have to manually defrost my fridge every two years. Even though it is supposed to be “frost free” it freezes up and won’t maintain proper temperature without being defrosted. It’s not that big a deal, but disappointing. I use the defrost time as an opportunity to tear it all apart and super clean all of the shelves, bins, inside surfaces, etc.
This will be my last Sears Frigidaire!!

1 Like