I adulted today...new fridge!

Hadn’t thought about that; forgot you’re in mid-Southern FL (despite the obvs connotation from your username).

Reminds me I need a winter getaway and need to see when my daughter wouldn’t mind a visit. Chilly, gray, damp and dreary here. Sunny and 82 in Bradenton today, tomorrow, next day…

1 Like

Doesn’t everybody do this?

2 Likes

Judging by the uneasy glances they gave me as I made my way through the fridge aisles, I’m guessing not!

Oh, I also noticed that a lot of produce bins only open halfway – another thing to look out for if you store a lot of produce. The back half of the bin isn’t very useful if you can’t access it directly.

3 Likes

I’ve said this before, but if one is going to splurge on any one kitchen appliance, it should be the fridge.

No matter what you do, or how you do it, or when you do it, inevitably and invariably it will involve the fridge.

Can’t really say the same thing about other appliances, like the stove (maybe you’re a raw foodie), or the faucet (you only eat prepackaged frozen dinners or ramen), or the microwave (cuz, you just hate radition), etc.

3 Likes

Even ramen need water. Lolol

Well done @Sunshine842 !

This was us shopping for our current counter depth refrigerator, except I’m limited to 15 pictures.

I can’t believe that was more than two years ago! We had the ice maker replaced a few months ago.

3 Likes

Woo! Thats a beauty!

What do you think about all the bins in the freezer drawer? For me that would be one extreme or the other. Id love them or theyd make me bananas

I’m not sure which ones you mean, but I’m learning to use the ones in the Bosch we got .

The top two are shallow, and aside from the plentiful ice ( which doesn’t seem to shut off when it should) my family tends not to use them. So that’s where I stash “the good stuff”.

1 Like

A hiding place is always good!

I think it was an illusion…the last pic looks like there were a lot of small compartments in the top drawer, but I think I was seeing the 2nd drawer through the clear top drawer

We have an old fridge/freezer in the garage, as well as an upright freezer. Definitely enjoy the extra space of the old fridge gives us.

Of course you fill the space that’s available.

The icemaker died in about 2 years?

Just wanted to “chime in” that the ice maker in my Sears Frididaire went up just out of warranty, as well.
I just purchased a couple of old school plastic ice trays (for our ice requirements)
I also have to manually defrost my fridge every two years. Even though it is supposed to be “frost free” it freezes up and won’t maintain proper temperature without being defrosted. It’s not that big a deal, but disappointing. I use the defrost time as an opportunity to tear it all apart and super clean all of the shelves, bins, inside surfaces, etc.
This will be my last Sears Frigidaire!!

1 Like

What is your waste utility’s disposal charge for large appliances?

You might be looking at one of dozens of pictures and measurements I took when were still shopping.

1 Like

And thats my concern…i call it the purse principle, because if I carry a larger purse it wnds up being full of crap I might need.

2 Likes

I know how that feels. Several of my bins are held together with epoxy and my produce bin is going to need the duct tape treatment soon. It is a Kitchenaid and is about 19 years old. Not a bad run. No big issues to report. The ice maker and water dispenser finally died a year or so ago. They no longer sell the parts to fix it. I know it is bound to die on me so I have been looking for a new refrigerator for a while. Read enough reviews and you will find that most, if not all makes and models have numerous known issues, recalls and lemons. At least with Kitchenaid one can find people to work on them. I almost bought a LG a few weeks ago until LG confirmed that they have no one listed to service it in my area. They said if I knew a repair person near me that I liked I could fill out some paperwork to get them certified, or something like that. Great! I’m going to be running around trying to get technicians LG certified as my food goes bad.

They have recently changed their rates, $43/ton (prorated) - $20 minimum. There is an extra $10 charge if it is an appliance where freon/refrigerant has to be removed.
Old style “tube” TV’s or monitors are electronic waste and $10/each.
They weigh your truck going in and weigh your truck going out and charge you based on weight.

That ended up being part of the discussion. Local sales place actually brought up that LG and Samsung are still having trouble gettung parts so its hard to get them repaired

1 Like

I was warned when I got my KitchenAid (from an independent local shop - since sold to a chain) that I should avoid LG and Samsung for exactly the same reason. This shop did all their servicing themselves - for generations. So when my KitchenAid died out of warranty, I replaced it with a Bosch (all that was available!) from another local shop that also does all their own service work.

1 Like

$100/ton here, $20 minimum (I think that includes 500 lbs). All appliances are $25 each.