How much do you pay for a cutting board?

How much do you pay for a cutting board, I mean on average? Do you buy expensive cutting boards? If yes, for how much?
I know it all depends on multiple factors. But I am just trying to get an idea about cutting board demand. :smiley:

1 Like

Depending on size and use I’ve spent between $50 and a few hundred.

I’ve also found these very handy.

1 Like

My chopping boards are from IKEA - cost £2 for a 34 x 24cm one.

2 Likes

Awesome. I too like the cheap kind of cutting boards for general use, especially the foldable boards that make it easy to empty something straight into a container. 50USD boards must be good quality ones I guess.
I’m wondering if there would be a demand for cutting boards made from expensive and durable woods such as mahogany or kumbuk

2 Likes

That’s a reasonable price! And ideal for the purpose.

1 Like

And they go in the dishwasher.

1 Like

I’m sure there is in the right market. I love mahogany and used it extensively in a home. It cost a small fortune in maintenance though.

Zebra wood is gorgeous too.

Edited:

Are you thinking to start producing cutting boards from exotic woods? I have an artist friend doing that and making decent supplemental money from it.

Here are a couple pieces…a couple wine-stoppers are from Zebra wood.

2 Likes

Which is mandatory!

1 Like

My most used wooden cutting board is made of bamboo, around 35-40 euro.

I have a few Ikea wooden cutting boards, the smaller ones are made of crappy wood, I never use to cut with it but use them as trivet, or extra boards to hold food when entertaining guests. H uses them to rest his pizza dough. I have another very big Ikea board, 52x43 cm, I believe this was like more like 20€, much better quality wood, but so big that it’s difficult to wash in the sink.

Also has a Chinese round tree truck board, extremely thick and heavy, it has a crack and H uses it to axe wood for bbq now.

2 Likes

I have a few thin plastic boards a bit like this, they go into dishwasher. Plastic boards at home are for fish, meat or coloured vegetables.

3 Likes

So far, my cutting boards are in the range of $15-70, but I am willing up to $200 for a good cutting board. I do not know if it counts as expensive or inexpensive. Obviously, how much I am willing to pay depends on the quality, material, size…etc.

2 Likes

I use the disposable boards for proteins and messy things…pretty convenient.

1 Like

I like darker coloured walnut cutting board, maybe one day I will offer myself one.

Mahongany is lovely. I’ve never seen a kumbuk board, they seem to be mostly used in furniture or flooring.

2 Likes

A little off topic, and not new, but still fun to watch:

4 Likes

Nothing. It’s been decades since I have paid for a cutting board. These two were made by my stepson. The one on the left I use everyday, it is myrtlewood. The one on the right is laminated wood, I don’t know what kind of wood it is.

6 Likes

Yes I’m trying to think about something useful to do to make some extra money. But it has to be feasible, considering the shipping cost etc., which usually amount to over 50USD. Heavier ones will cost even more. And then the cost of wood, mainly. Both mahogany and kumbuk are available here, although kumbuk has a more beautiful grain pattern and is darker. Jak wood has a beautiful natural golden yellow colour but it’s very expensive and has too many restrictions here.
So if I can still make a little profit after all costs then I would make a few and see how it goes. Obviously that price should be for the high end market, according to your replies. It’s the shipping that adds a huge amount. Let’s see. Thanks for your replies. Really appreciate it.

1 Like

Beautiful. Talk about real eco-friendly

2 Likes

You can always start with what you want first and why you want a new cutting board. A good cutting board will last a lifetime (at least 10+ year). Money is important, but there will be many qualification not to be ignored. For example, for some people they need a cutting board goes into dishwasher. If so, none of the wood or natural cutting board should be their choice. Some people want a light cutting board, so it is easy to wash and move around. If so, a thick and large cutting board should not be their choices. Conversely, some people like to have one large cutting board, so they can work through all their food preparation without constantly moving their foods.
I suggest to work out all your preferences and limitations, and then start adjusting quality and price.

3 Likes

I like my Epicurean board the best. Doesn’t stain like my acrylic boards. https://www.epicureancs.com/product-category/cutting-boards/

I’ve spent $100ish on nice wood boards for gifts

1 Like

Those boards are wooden ones? Or some other material? What’s the weight of your board? They have some expensive boards too.