How much do you pay for a cutting board?

The Epicurean boards are some sort of composite, man-made material. They aren’t heavy. They’re quite thin, as well. My board that is medium-sized, about the size of a Manila folder, might weigh 200 grams. I’ll weigh it when I get home.

I mostly use wooden boards for bread, or for serving, these days.

1 Like

There is also a smaller type of irregular size whole piece of wood cutting board, mainly use to serve, it’s decorative as well.

Maybe it’s interesting for your biz.

5 Likes

@Phoenikia I thought they were very heavy. Anyway wooden boards would be much heavier I guess, especially if they’re going to be around 1 or 2 inches thick.

@naf That’s a great idea too. I’m trying to get a shipping rates list to see if it’s possible to get a small profit.

1 Like

Hi LastManStanding,

I’ve never spent much for cutting boards, but I’ve gotten several.

One is wooden (beech), 11" circular–for sandwiches (less than $20)
Second is wood (acacia), 13" X12" X 1 1/2" for vegetables (about $25)
Third is poly, about 16" x20" X1" for meats and bigger jobs (about $25)

I often use the wood cutting boards on top of the poly board.

Ray

2 Likes

Is it feasible to cook and vend in your spare time? If there weren’t so many regulations and licensing it would interest me.

1 Like

I own 3 wooden ones, I believe they cost around $100 each.

I use 2 Zwilling & 4 Joseph & Joseph plastic boards most often, because they go in the dishwasher.

For raw meat I use two thick IKEA plastic boards with juice grooves and they also go in the dishwasher.

1 Like

Yes, there’s a market for “artisanal” wooden boards, and they can command high prices. There are parallels with custom cutlery, except with boards, it’s mostly what you see is what you get.

It’s the seeing part that can be difficult. You would need exposure, and that usually means a hands-on setting. There are many board makers who set up booths at farmers’ markets, craft fairs, etc. Wine shops sometimes sell a lot of fancier boards. Others sell on consignment with kitchen and boutique wood furniture stores. Whatever the path, location is hugely important.

What you might try is doing cheese, sausage and general smaller boards that have a lot of figure or “curl” in the wood. They’re usually fast to make–no joinery required. And you can price them low enough to qualify for an impulse buy or momento.

I encourage you to find designs which are somewhat unique or thematic. The boards cut in the shapes of states are totally stupid, but they sell well.

I also suggest you look at the offerings of places like NOLA Boards in New Orleans.

Good Luck! I’m

2 Likes

Hi LastManStanding,

I’ve done some importing of arts and crafts from Thailand that are made from wood, and the most marketable wood products have been lighter weight and semi functional–not products like cutting boards.

One of my friends in Thailand was successful in making and staining inexpensive and light weight mango wood boxes that were then marketed through an American distributor.

There are many competing cutting boards here that are made from processed materials and already compete effectively against wood boards on the American market, like John Boos:

https://www.johnboos.com/product_group.asp?s=c&grp=JBC0051

I think marketing wood cutting boards right now as imports to the US would be a tough sell.

Ray

2 Likes

I burned my finger. Will reply as soon as the pain eases. Thank you everyone, :slight_smile:

1 Like

There are knife enthusiasts that prefer to use the often very expensive end grain cutting boards, because these boards are gentler on the edge of the kitchen knife.

My 3 wooden cutting boards are Skagerak teakwood boards, so not end grain boards.

Teakwood supposedly should be quite tough on the edge of a knife, but frankly after using my boards for 3-4 years I can’t say they seem to be dulling the edges of my knives to a degree where it concerns me at all.

But I’m just a home cook, and I don’t hack my knives into the cutting boards. I usually do the rock-chop cutting motion and my knives edges seem to hold on to their sharpness just fine.

I always do hone my knives before using them, so that could have something to do with it.

1 Like

My main cutting board is a 4ft by 6ft maple island countertop with an undermount prep sink, but I use diswasher-able plastic ones for proteins. I have not noticed any difference in the edge of my knives between the two.

I do hone regularly, but not every time I use them.

3 Likes

Hi Claus,

Both my wooden cutting boards are gentle and absorbent–hardwood, but not end grain.

I use the wood boards together with my bigger poly boards: wood for veggies, poly for protein. The only time there is any protein on my wood boards is when they are sliced meat on a sandwich.

Ray

1 Like

I’ve never paid much for cutting boards. My requirements are that they be made of wood and that that have a trough. I recently replaced two that I’d bought at yard sales decades ago with these.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Casual-Home-Delice-Maple-Cutting-Board-with-Juice-Drip-Groove-CB01201/309675161

2 Likes

I do not recall the cost, but I love my Boos NOT end grain boards. They do not give that “clack” feedback that other boards do. I have tried poly for the germaphobe approach and concluded I’d rather use a drops of bleach. I am not a fan of Epicurean, bamboo, or poly. I am ok with my olive cheese board, but why waste it as a cutting board? (I just enjoyed Brie off of it.)

5 Likes

Selling anything here is not practical now. Our economy is bankrupt, literally. No fuel, no medicine, no food, prices have tripled. All within last month.
Food prices have tripled, and people have no money to buy anything for high prices. That’s why I’m looking around to sell something abroad :slight_smile:

1 Like

@kaleokahu @drrayeye
Thank you so much for the input. What you are saying is exactly what I was thinking of. US market will be tough, and high shipping costs means the prices cannot compete successfully.
However, I think if I keep only about 5 USD from a piece, I will still be able to sell a few. But as you say it’s a matter of reputation, being known by people, recommendations, internet presence etc. I was thinking of trying to sell a few on Amazon but that will cause a lot bigger cuts as commission. I will see if I can sell with a profit of 5 USD a piece. So if the cost of an item is around 40 USD, and shipping is 150, I can sell it for 195. If the weight is less I might be able to sell it around 120.
However I must study further if there’s any room to compete. That’s the main sticking point.

Hi LastManStanding,

Maybe you can tie in your cutting boards, serving boards, and related products as part of a worldwide call for aid. These products could be gifts to show appreciation to those who gave a donation. You get paid by those who run the program.

See if you can associate your efforts with such a program.

Ray

1 Like

If you go ahead with your plan of making cutting boards from hardwoods, I recommend that you ensure that all the wood you use is grown and harvested sustainably. You should also let customers know about the sustainability of your materials.

1 Like

He should also consult a guide to wood toxicity. For instance, cocobolo, teak and rosewoods aren’t good choices for the woodworker or owners of cutting boards. See, https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/

3 Likes

Thank you for this interesting and valuable information. I haven’t previously heard about wood toxicity.

2 Likes