How do you Hummus?

Small amount of raw garlic was pulsed in. Olive oil was added this morning. Small batch just for breakfasr. I grilled and whirled zucc’s last night.

Ah ok, I thought there was some involved in grilling. But I am probably paranoid anyway.

No, you were correct. I did grill slices of zuchinni last night and pulsed them in the fp. I just didnt combine evrything until breakfast. I dont enjoy cold hummus. Small batch is my solution.

As for being food safe, never a bad thing or a bad idea to remind a friend😁 so thanks C.

1 Like

Most often hummus has acid added. But I rarely ever think about botulism when using raw garlic. Most things made either have some form of acid or are consumed quickly. Made it this far…

I had plenty of fresh lemon juice in the zuch and later the paste to cover that acid hit.

1 Like

Well at least they used quotes for the “hummus” ;)) sounds delicious!! Did you grill the zucchini? I imagine it would be extra wonderful with some of that charred grilled magic involved…

1 Like

I sure did and the char is the best part. I have some really nic zucch’s cut into planks, brushed with grapeseed oil. Once warm, not hot, they pulse in seconds.

2 Likes

Man my grandmother made hummus regularly with garlic for over 50 yrs. No one died of botulism. Even the people I didn’t like

1 Like

Not really. The risk of botulism from the “olive oil plus garlic” combination comes mostly from the longer-term storage of garlic (or fresh herbs, or really any vegetable matter) completely submerged in olive oil. Clostridium botulinum is an anaerobic bacteria, and it doesn’t take much oxygen to inhibit the spores from sprouting or “live” bacteria from reproducing. Since air/oxygen doesn’t “dissolve” in oil, submerging things completely in oil is the equivalent of sealing them in air-tight containers. But even the relatively small amount of air that gets incorporated into something like this (or regular hummus, or any other “prepared” food) should be enough to prevent its growth for reasonable periods of time.

And maybe more relevant, while I’m not a microbiologist, nor a food-safety expert of any kind, I suspect that obvious spoilage from other bacteria would probably occur before botulism became a (statistically) significant risk in this case where a very “wet” vegetable like zucchini is involved anyway. And for that matter, while the moisture content of chick-pea hummus is much lower, I think botulism is the least of one’s food-borne illness concerns even where that’s concerned…

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification, that makes a lot of sense.

1 Like

The other day I decided to make a small change in my regular hummus recipe. I added some of my homemade pesto. Excellent. I enjoyed the added flavor. With warmed pita and some vegies it made a nice light dinner.

1 Like

Very interesting. Did you adjust the amt. of garlic since both recipes include it?

No, I just added 2 tbs to my regular recipe, Just enough to give a hint of the flavor of pesto. I have been know to use pesto on my morning toast instead of butter and jam.

2 Likes

Sounds good to me.

http://heritageradionetwork.org/podcast/one-tiny-delicious-seed/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_campaign=5fabdef312-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_10_01_05_52&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_a850e1a67a-5fabdef312-136191993

Interview with one of the Soom partners.

Small batch this time a bit heavier on the cumin, roasted garlic and puree roasted red peppers. I added enough Soom tahini to drizzle this batch over my plans for a roasted root vegetable and chicken one pan dish tomorrow.

1 Like

https://www.tastecooking.com/making-hummus-home-worth/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_campaign=730cd4b873-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_09_17_04_30&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_a850e1a67a-730cd4b873-136191993

Now that I’m a complete convert, this article speaks my song better than I ever could.

1 Like

This wknd we opened the jar of chocolate tahini halva spread by Soom on french toast. It’s not as sweet as Nutella, the sesame seed flavor is spot on and it spreads much easier than Nutella. Could be used in place of chocolate ganache.

I can not find Soom products. It’s driving me nuts. Brazil nuts at the moment

Is an online purchase out of the question? Its very easy online. Locally I have only found one health food store that carries it.