Hot sauces: what are you eating now? How many is too many?

Ha, just saw this. I have a jar in my fridge and I’ve never tasted it outside of mixing it into the rub/marinade for Peruvian roast chicken or for making a sauce with a lot of herbs. I’ll have to taste it alone and report back.

2 Likes

It’s salty and tip-of-the-tongue spicy. Good umami to it. I like it!

1 Like

I use this 24/7. By the spoon when there is nothing to slather it on…
56%20PM

3 Likes

Anybody tried this one? ![IMG_20190718_200047|393x700] Great packaging. Had to try it.
(upload://6RRLCd33QViiU7wLuQmwBE3kPPi.jpeg)

I think some of us folk are interested in Aji peppers and baccatum, and maybe South America and the SF Bay area.

This is proudly made in Peru and distributed from Mill Valley, California. Talkin’ bout Mill Valley California, thats my home! !

Not really.

On Amazon

5 Likes

Cuzco Foodes

1 Like

I finally opened this up today…very nice! I’d recommend this to a lot of people. The heat is pleasant and flavor is top notch. I really want to make some green chili with this

5 Likes

Here’s my latest addition at 6 million Scoville. Got it in New Hope, PA at a hot sauce shop last week. Supposedly one drop is too much for a POT of chili or sauce. The guy recommended a “toothpick tip” amount. I tried about a micron on a piece of bread the day I got it and was dying. If anyone wants a challenge, I’ll likely have this for the next 20 years.

2 Likes

From my Rules For Living A Carefree Life:

RULE 3: Never eat anything associated with a venomous snake.

5 Likes

Holy smokes, is that place still around? I used to go there like 30 years ago.

IMO most of the products from CaJohn’s lean toward the stunt rather than the culinary side. I do like some of their chile pepper puree sauces, such as the jalapeno, cayenne, chipotle and habanero. I still have some of the high-Scoville stunt sauces I bought 20 years ago skulking in the back of the cupboard. I realized quickly back then that they were largely useless unless used for party tricks and truth-or-dare.

4 Likes

I hate even THINKING about said “stunts”. Waste of taste.

Suzie’s? Yup. Still around.

:joy:good rule. Also scorpions

1 Like

Did a “side-by-side” taste test of these two, dipping a hot mess of refried beans into each until the beans were consumed. This, I should not have done. Today has been…unpleasant.

Texas Pete was mild, and tasted of abundant vinegar. Scotty O’Hotty was like handling the business end of a venomous snake.

3 Likes

I can’t deal with any of the ghost pepper sauces. All I get is heat without flavor.

2 Likes

I don’t like ghost pepper in sauce form. But it mellows and adds a wonderful flavor when slow cooked.

2 Likes

Nice tip! Thank you. Over wintering we use the slow cooker a lot. So…

1 Like

Lmk if you’d like an easy recipe when you’re testing it out.

1 Like

I think I’m going to just take your word for it.:smile:

2 Likes

The flavor doesn’t come through till the heat mellows. Where they originate, the chillies are either slow cooked with pork and cabbage for a long time, or used to infuse vinegar or oil, also over a period. Then a splash is used in other dishes. So I don’t understand the table grinders at Trader Joe’s.

The first time I tasted it, friends had used too much chilli by proportion - mouth burned before flavor could be detected. Since then, I err on the side of less - that way the actual flavor is more clear even if it’s not as hot as some people want it.

I came across a ghost pepper honey last year - they dropped a single chilli into a jar of honey, then waited. The salesperson told me to be careful as the jar aged - the heat would intensify, of course, just more slowly than in vinegar or oil. I’ve been meaning to try this out at home.

5 Likes