Hot sauces: what are you eating now? How many is too many?

Maybe similar to Sichuan peppercorn?

I was hoping for the bite sensation of an Alaskan ExxonMobil Valdez spider myself :smile:

I honestly don’t think I will try this. I would like to see some reactions of people who try it.

@ratgirlagogo pass to the left or right? :slight_smile:

@small_h I love those peppers. Something about this makes me kind of creeped out. I’m not a bug fan at all.

1 Like

Uh, whichever is the “no.” I’ve heard tell of these new-fangled datin’ apps, but that’s about it - don’t they “swipe”?

I’ve dated some women that were spiders, at least in spirit.

1 Like

I couldn’t have said it as well, myself…:rofl:

I’m with @ratgirlagogo on this one, but it does remind me of those adventurous enough to eat fugu (pufferfish). Isn’t it supposed to produce that same tingling sensation, even though the bits that hold the toxins are supposed to be removed?

I looked up toxin science because of your hot sauce /venomous spider post, Johnny.

Here’s what I read:

I don’t think I’ll be running out to buy this hot sauce…

Texas Pete is plowing to the top of my preferred hot sauce list. I’ve decided over the past two dinners that this sauce is special.

1 Like

Stumbled on this article while reading restaurant closures recently in metro Detroit.

We have three types of sauce from Scotty O’Hotty on hand, but have not sampled any of the others because of their extremely limited distribution. These producers might want to take a cue from Michigan’s craft beer brewers about building a robust network of consumers.

2 Likes

Distribution networks for specialty foods are a complex problem for small producers.
I have a friend in Chicago who makes a tasty line of bbq sauces; he has no distributor/wholesaler to market his goods anymore to this part of the country.
Used to, but no more.
:frowning:

2 Likes

Huh. I did not know this. Assumed that a customer could simply contact their neighborhood Kroger, or HEB, or Safeway and say: “I want you to start stocking this product.” And two weeks later it would magically appear in the store aisles.

Thanks for your post, bbqboy.

1 Like

Scanning through this thread, it dawns on me that we have a handful each of Mexican, Chinese and Viet, but no American hot sauces on hand. Well, one probably 20 year old bottle of Tabasco for which I’ve never found a dedicated use. Kind of like the word “got”; it can always be replaced by a better choice.

4 Likes

Most chains do not allow locally produced product.
Has to go through their warehouse/ distribution network.

1 Like

I remember when I first moved to California, and the Safeway I went to was getting tomatoes from Florida! I was like…" Whaaaaaat?"

I sort of get it now; Florida has a different season than Nor Cal, and things have changed a bit too. It seems you CAN get what you are willing to pay for, at least to a certain extent.

3 Likes

Question for the chile experts - what does Aji Amarillo taste like?

1 Like

Ask me in two months! I have on!y used paste before, but this year I have about four plants. Here’s what I’ve read;

The Spruce Eats

Serious Eats

Peppersca!e

The Atlantic

Yes - what does the paste taste like, relative to other chiles? Trying to figure out if I can substitute one of the many chile-related items I already own vs buying yet another one…

I seem to remember a sharp side and tip of the tongue heat. Probably a bit fruity, but not the frutiest. Do you have another aji or baccatum chili?

I’m sure there’s a sub. What are you making?

Here’s what Chilli pepper madness says about subbing for aji amarillo. (Yellow bell pepper+habanero).

Thank you! Came across it in some Peruvian recipes and saw it at the store, but stopped myself from buying… for now :joy:

Stay strong!