Hot Dogs!

That’s a minimalist’s Wurstsalat / Fleischsalat!
https://www.helvetickitchen.com/recipes/2016/7/6/cervelatsalat?format=amp

It was part of the hotel breakfast buffet last time I was in Munich.

3 Likes

I saw a lot of those in Germany, too.

1 Like

I mentioned above that Miller’s were my fav supermarket hot dog… but I have just run out and I think it is time for a change. Don’t get me wrong… I still like the flavor, but they are very dense. I am now looking for something with more snap, lighter/airier and less chewy.

Maybe more fat, a combo of beef and pork, a coarser grind… I dunno.

Any suggestions?

1 Like

Squid hot dog, from a restaurant called Casa Kun (or Kun Reforma) in Mexico City. A little chewy, but it was pretty good, especially with the salsa and pulpo frito (fried octopus).

2 Likes

My local Costco’s are served on the bun I remember. They are a tad shorter on but only by about an inch or so. I prefer this slightly longer dog to bun ratio. Far worse, imo, when you get that inch of just dry bun at the end. I’ll more annoyed my local Costco just won’t wrap them in foil.

2 Likes

I think a hot dog that’s smaller than its bun is a travesty.

A dressed hot dog should resemble something like this below, depending on the size.

And for what it’s worth, I prefer a 4:1 dog. I need my meat!

3 Likes

Nailed it!

1 Like

Deep Thoughts.

Does American (Canada?) need a national hot dog chain?

Would Der W be it?, Portillo’s?

How would they do with regional specialties like the Detroit Coney or Sonora Dog?

I’ve had fun over the years seeking out the regional specialties when I can, traveling, by mail-order, re-creating them in my kitchen.

2 Likes

There’s been a Ted’s in Tempe for a long time. A taste of Buffalo in the desert.
I would get one occasionally, but I didn’t move to Arizona to eat steenkin’ hot dogs.
This was 1980s, pre the Sonoran hot dog hysteria.

1 Like

I started off my 2023 Hot Dog season with a pack of Schneiders Red Hots (which are pork). With honey mustard (I mixed some clover honey with some Dijon), Farm Boy potato hot dog bun. That bun can handle a bigger hot dog or 2 Red Hots.

1 Like
2 Likes

I think hot dogs are so regional, my answer would be no :slight_smile:

The patriotic spot to get hot dogs in Canada is the hot dog vendor located outside most Canadian Tire stores!

2 Likes

Been doing them this way since forever! Easy and proper result.

4 Likes

Also the way to do other types of sausages!

3 Likes
2 Likes

Friend of a good friend. We get his dogs here in Asheville.

1 Like

1 Like

Now they need to bring back sauerkraut even though the Polish dog is no more!

8 Likes

Agreed!

And buns that are a little longer than the 6" ones they issue now.

1 Like