Hot Dogs!

Update to the natural casing search: My local Ralph’s has Boars Head. Tried it for the first time and have to say I prefer Hoffy. More snap and flavor I thought.

1 Like

+10,000. My favorite is a natural casing beef dog made at a local butcher. Top it how you want; but dat dog puts the bow to dah wow.

Boars Head is the only all-beef casing hot dog I can dependably find in these parts. There are other brands but their availability is non-existent at best.

1 Like
1 Like

*Küche aka cuisine.

Speaking of hot dogs…what’s the deal with Costco putting their long dogs on a short bun? Saving $ for a miniscule amount of carbs for the consumer? They used to sell the buns that matched the dog, but no more. Is your Costco economizing this way?

Economizing or not… I luv hot dogs that protrude from each end of the bun. It just makes the first and last bites so much better.

3 Likes

That wasn’t me :smirk:

Yah I know.

1 Like

I’ve not been a fan of Boar’s Head in general, what i’ve had of their offerings didn’t impress me. I’ll seek out Hoffy’s or another brand if I can find one locally.

1 Like

Ok… I just tried a new way to heat a hot dog for lunch and it turned out really well! I’ve grilled them, steamed them, and pan fried them butterflied, and they all turned out well, but this new method (suggested on the Miller’s site) was a surprise.

In a skillet, add a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of water (depending on how many you want to heat) over medium/high heat, bring to a boil… and add dogs, occasionally rolling them back and forth across the skillet. Continue the process until most of the water evaporates and you get browning on the dogs.

The result was this pup plumped up to 50% larger diameter, with some nice browning/flavor. Other than scoring and then grilling, don’t think I’ll do them any other way. Learn sumthin’ new every day!

3 Likes

You want to complain about mismatch. Here goes:

There was a time when the salt bomb Hebrew National package contained seven tube steaks. So, then you were left with an orphan from the conventional eight-count bun package. Any attempt to grill the orphan bun into a gratuitous-something to make into frugal “croutons” for potluck barbecue gathering was a waste of charcoal and Weber owner’s goodwill.

To its credit, the last Conagra Hebrew National salt bomb package we saw (in Costco’s four-pack) contained six tube steaks; so, with three eight-count bun packages secured for four tube steak packages, the arithmetic yields a match for a large enough gathering. Of course, smaller gatherings’ mileage still varies.

So, you ask, why not Nathan’s or another eight count ? Been there, done that, but the dumb old mismatch lingers . . .

1 Like

That’s how I cook link sausages in casings. You need the initial steaming to make sure the meat is cooked through. Then, everything browns.

2 Likes

Just curious where you discovered this technique as I don’t ever recall seeing it anywhere other than the Miller’s site.

Either in my grandparents’ kitchen (likely) or it was included as directions with some sausage I ordered.

Edit: Edward’s sausage is just like the sausage my grandfather had made.

3 Likes

OMG- a “that’s what she said” keeps repeating in my mind.

3 Likes

Dad would boil the dawgs and then chop them up, add a bit of mayo and make a sandwich of it on Kilpatrick’s white bread. Sometimes one of the fat links (aka dinner sausage) he’d pick up at the butcher’s would go that way.

3 Likes